"DELETE CRITIQUE REQUEST" - disabled ???

adi1

After requesting a critique and posting the photo in the "photo

critique forum" I was able to retract this request at a later date.

Recently this is no longer possible. Was this function disabled

temporarily or for good. Just curious! Thanks.

Gabriel, don't be sarcastic. We don't have any control over how Google sorts the results, or knowledge of how they do it. A lot of people would like to know that. There is a whole slimy industry of people who will sell you information on how to trick Google's software, and they don't know either.

Gabriel - I suggest you stick to speculating on things you know about.

Clearly the Google search isn't one of them. Photo.net takes the results that Google returns in the order Google returns them. Anyone with exact info about how Google ranks returns could make money selling that info. Many who don't know still sell their guesses.

my last post was deleted which, in some ways, i can agree with. it wasn't bob who came out with the blase statement about using the search engine but brian. apologies to bob. but if neither of you know how search results are going to be returned to pn, dont make glib statements about using the search engine.

Stuart, you seem to have a bit of bee in your bonnet about this. Just type in "Delete Critique Request" in the Google search box that comes up when you click the "Search" link in the header.

I didn't have to do that to make my comment because I knew there have been tons of discussions on this point, since I participated in many (if not all of them) myself and posted at length several times in the couple of weeks after removing the feature explaining the rationale for doing so. I don't want to have to go on at length about this everytime someone comes back to the site after a few months and asks about the feature -- so with your kind permission, sir, I will continue to advise people to do a search.

<i>Gabriel - I suggest you stick to speculating on things you know about.</i><BR>

Sorry, there's something in my human nature that makes me question things; but it's good advice, and I'd like to suggest other things, but I'm not dry and caustic <i>most of the time</i>.

Brian,

The bee in my bonnet can be put down to a bad bottle of Merlot :-).

However, I think the original question i asked is relevant.

The search engine interface to pn is poor. The fact that users can not restrict their queries to a particular timefame, for example, is a bad reflection on pn.

Before I post any question, requesting information, i do try and find out if the question has been asked before. In fact I spend considerably more time, and bandwidth, searching the archives than i do reading any replies I might receive.

There is little point in having one of the most useful databases on Earth if it can not be queried effectively. The alternative, to improving the interface, is to put out a message saying repeat requests are permissable and to discourage irate members from saying things like "This has been discussed ad infinitum - see posts.......". (This criticism is not levelled at either you or Bob).

Regards,

Stuart

You might want to learn how to use a Google search on PN before you criticise too much. PN uses the Google search engine.

<p>

If you want to restrict the post to a certain year, just put a year in the search term. If you want all postings about Velvia in 2004, try "Velvia 2004" as your search term. All forum postings have dates attached.

<p>

If that's not good enough, try the advanced Google search page <a href="http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8">http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8</a>. That will allow you to search for items as a function of their the last update date<p>

Google do a great job at indexing and searching. There's little point in photo.net devoting it's limited resources to duplicating their efforts.