Definition of genre? Fashion, Beauty, Editorial... etc

chigirev

<p>I know it's hard... there is no clear border beetween some genres... such as Fashion, Beauty, Editorial and etc..<br>

Even well known photographers doesn't have clear separation in their portfolios/websites. Photo can be Fashion and Beauty at the same time, .... And portrait can be done with Fashion Elements.. Glamour or Fashion - hard to say sometimes...<br>

But anyway, does anybody know<strong> initial </strong> <strong>definition</strong> for Gendes like Fashion, Beauty, Editorial and Glamour.<br>

any links?<br>

--<br>

BTW, it's so sad this website has Fashion only... I think that only about 20 persent in this category is real Fashion. <br>

--<br>

NC<br /> </p>

<p>Nikolay,</p>

<p>My working definitions:</p>

<p>Fashion - Emphasis on clothing and assessories</p>

<p>Beauty/Glamour - Showing the subject in their most alluring way with emphasis on sensuality or sexuality</p>

<p>Editorial - Photographs that tell a story or help tell a story by themselves or with the written word</p>

<p>These are pretty simplistic definitions, but it how I try to differentiate between the terms. They obviously overlap and are open to other interpretations.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>"Beauty/Glamour - Showing the subject in their most alluring way with emphasis on sensuality or sexuality"<br>

I would argue that this definition applies to glamour but NOT beauty. Glamour focuses on the body emphasizing sexuality. Beauty shots are typically limited to the head and shoulder area, emphasizing facial beauty/perfection- think Estee Lauder ad.</p>

<p>"Beauty/Glamour - Showing the subject in their most alluring way with emphasis on sensuality or sexuality"<br>

I would argue that this definition applies to glamour but NOT beauty. Glamour focuses on the body emphasizing sexuality. Beauty shots are typically limited to the head and shoulder area, emphasizing facial beauty/perfection- think Estee Lauder ad.</p>

<p>OK Allen, I'll go along with that, but I kind of think they can be somewhat interchangeable. I see where you are coming from. I do think I have seen shots that are more than head and shoulder shots that I would consider beauty rather than glamour. When I think of a full length shot of a girl that has an emphasis on her beauty without any sensuality or sexuality to it, I think it can be called a beauty shot. I think it has more to do with lighting and intent. </p>

<p>Mark, I see what you are saying and certainly there are no clearly definited bounderies. But professionally, beauty shots are typically done by fashion photographers while glamour is an entirely different genre that is often looked down on in the fashion industry. In short, I would argue that beauty is a subcategory of fashion and distinct from glamour even though some individual shots may blur the line.</p>