indicating it can be used as a synonym for the word "film."

The use of film in a camera leads to a chemical process, not an

inherent A-D conversion. If you are not going through an analog to

digital conversion in the camera, I fail to see the logic in calling

a film camera an analog device.

I'm not trying to be a linguistic nit-licker here. I was sent an

email and I'm expected to respond as part of my job. I want it to be

an informed response, that's all.

What are your thoughts on the use of the term "analog camera"?

Hi Tom, I think "analog" in this instance can be construed to mean "anything that is not digital". I think it was a poor choice of words only because most people who don't shoot digital must shoot film; we no longer use glass plates, for example. Another example might be a good old fashioned vinyl record is an "analog" playback medium as opposed to a CD which is "digital". Best wishes . . .

CD's are merely the storage medium while digital cameras actually sample the original scene, so it's not a very good analogy. Some recording studios still use analog tape for capture though.

At times I've accused the flash metering in my 10D of being vacuum tube based if that's any help.

While I don't suffer a lack of understanding when I hear the term "analog camera", I can't stand it. I have a wide variety of technical skills/experience, and this term doesn't fit the lexicon at all.

In my mind, "analog" applies to electrical stuff that's not digital.

For me, there are chemical or digital cameras. Or film vs. digital. Or old type vs. new type. My favorite is chemical vs. electric - but just to make the point in conversation.

<i>I'm not trying to be a linguistic nit-licker here. I was sent an email and I'm expected to respond as part of my job. I want it to be an informed response, that's all.</i>

<p>

I think it's perfectly obvious that's exactly what you're trying to do.

<p>

What does not having an A-D converter have to do with it? A tube amplifier does not have an A-D converter. An old-fashioned slide rule does not have an A-D converter. Both are quintessential analog devices.

<I>In my mind, "analog" applies to electrical stuff that's not digital.</i>

<p>

In your mind alone.

<p>

<i><b>analog</b> Of, relating to, or being a device in which data are represented by continuously variable, measurable, physical quantities, such as length, width, voltage, or pressure.</i>

<p>

There's nothing about the word analog that implies electronics at all. As I said, a slide rule is an analog device. Arguably so is a film camera.

There's absolutely nothing about "analog" which implies an electronic device.

It seems perfectly reasonable, in modern vernacular, to designate film cameras as "analog," to distinguish them from "digital" camera. This term is merely descriptive, with an economy of words, and does not denigrate film photography except in the most Luddite circles.

Regardless of the chemistry, film images are essentially continous in nature, and are not organized in pixels and discrete levels (other than on a molecular level).

A camera with an analog-to-digital converter would be a digital camera, because that is the end result.

I have only two questions: What is hard to understand about "analog" as opposed to "digital?" and What is the value of this thread to Photo.Net?

I believe a slide rule is the quintessential A/D converter.

And yes, analog it probably perfectly correct in linguistic terms. I don't know. However, in the part of the technical world I live in, analog always applies to electical signals. I won't argue with those who want to apply it to cameras, but it does grate on me.

Analog is a perfectly fine term as it indicates ANY film camera. Much like digital would describe ANY digital camera (P&S, CMOS, CCD, etc...). The film camera IS an analog device. Much like your cassette deck is an analog device and much like YOUR eyes are an analog device.

I hate the word "analog" when used to distinguish between film and digital cameras. Analog and digital are both computing terms. A wooden slide rule is an analog computer. A Chinese abacus is an analog computer. A clock with hands might be considered an analog device. A film camera is not a computing device in any sense of the word. Analog is the opposite of digital only in the context of computing something. Most "digital" recording devices have by necessity both analog and digital components, and that includes digital cameras.

<p><i>A Chinese abacus is an analog computer.</i></p>

<p>Not that it matters, but an abacus is not analog. It's mechanical, but digital. Something doesn't have to be electronic to be analog. Analog simiply means (has come to mean) a representation of something else that has not been deliberately converted to discrete, quantized, values.</p>

<p>This shouldn't matter either, but calling a film camera an "analog" camera bugs me, too. When you consider that an image recorded on film is made up of millions of grains, which either represent a strict white or black (or R, G, or B) value, you could say that digital cameras are more analog than film cameras. Digital cameras record (in many cases) a 12-bit value for each pixel, which is far more "analog" than film grain.</p>

<p>Oops, for those of you who don't like to read markup, here's my post again. :) </p>

<p><i>A Chinese abacus is an analog computer.</i></p>

<p>Not that it matters, but an abacus is not analog. It's mechanical, but digital. Something doesn't have to be electronic to be analog. Analog simiply means (has come to mean) a representation of something else that has not been deliberately converted to discrete, quantized, values.</p>

<p>This shouldn't matter either, but calling a film camera an "analog" camera bugs me, too. When you consider that an image recorded on film is made up of millions of grains, which either represent strict white or black (or R, G, or B) value, you could say that digital cameras are more analog than film cameras. Digital cameras record (in many cases) a 12-bit value for each pixel, which is far more "analog" than film grain.</p>

I stand corrected about the abacus. You're absolutely right, it IS a mechanical digital computer, while the slide rule is an analog computer. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I do think that the so-called digital camera is as much an analog device as it is a digital device.

As a Computer Science Engineer I haev to agree Analog is really not an electrical term. To me analog as it pertains to a film camera is pretty acurate. Film cameras capture everything it sees and everything in between just like an analog clock passes through every possible moment of time represesnted by the second hand. Digital only represents a change or no change we call them bianry 1 or 0.

Film camers by the definition of the work are indeed analog devices....

"analog: Of, relating to, or being a device in which data... "

Part of the question is whether film contains data or some form of measurement. If it does, then a painting could be described as an analog device as well... which I think is stretching the intended use of the term. A digitized image of a painting (or wallpaper) does not imply to me that the original was analog.

In the video world of cameras, the term analog camera is common, because there are analog camera formats like beta,,vhs,,3/4,,then there are digital formats, like DigiBeta,,DVcam,miniDV etc, so if somebody ask me to shoot some analog Beta I know not to use a DigiBeta camera, but use a regular BetaSP,,also to add more confusion, you can have the front half of the camera(head) digital, with all the digital signal processing and record that to a analog recorder/back.

<p>As a computer engineer (not a computer scientist or a "computer science engineer") I have to disagree with the assertion "analog as it pertains to a film camera is pretty accurate".</p>

<p><i>Film cameras capture everything it sees and everything in between just like an analog clock...</i></p>

<p>Not really true. Film grain is random, but still discrete and digital - on or off. Considering the size of prints made from film, and relative to the sensitivity of the human eye, film grain is rather large and therefore does not appear to be continuous, but rather discrete.</p></i>

<p><i>Digital only represents a change or no change we call them bianry 1 or 0.</i></p>

<p>Not true either. Binary is digital, but digital isn't necessarily binary. But, once again, it's moot because film grain is both digital and binary.</p>

<p><i>Film camers by the definition of the work are indeed analog devices....</i></p>

<p>I'm not exactly positive what you meant to say (through the typos), but the only way that film cameras are more analog than digital cameras is that film cameras probably have less processing power (<i>less</i> not none).</p>

<p>An image captured on film is recorded as, effectively, a bunch of 1s and 0s (in the form of grain). An image captured by a digital camera is actually recorded as a collection ANALOG electrical charges that represents the brightness at each pixel. After this capture is done, the ANALOG signal is then converted to digital. Analog is NOT a very good term to describe a film camera. If anything, digital cameras are more analog than film cameras are.<p>

<p><i>In the video world of cameras, the term analog camera is common.</i></p>

<p>That's because the information is not quantized and recorded as numbers. It's recorded on magnetic tape in a format that is the direct electrical/magnetic analog (or equivalent) of the source signal. It's therefore a good fit in the video world.</p>

This is an interesting concept - wait until the media grabs ahold of it. I did some research on the definitions of both analog and digital and neither was very descriptive - digital had to do with digits like your fingers or numbers. I'm going to revert back to some very old schooling I had way back when.

Analog in my mind is a continuous stream of data, as the source of the data alters, the stream will reflect each phase of that change. If you could put an Osciliscope on the data source if it appears curvy like a sine-wave, you have an analog source of data.

Digital is not so fluid in its transitions. If you have the same data in digital, you will have square waves rather than sinewaves. Digital can handle 0 and 1, analog can handle 0, 1, and all the infinite variations between 0 and 1.

In representing a camera, a digital camera captures a series of data on a sensor, streams it through the various converters to adjust that image and save it off into memory. A film camera on the other hand, has a chemical surface that reacts to light. The transitions of hue, luminosity, and contrast (and probably more than just those) in a digital representation will eventually be cut off, the system must define it as a 1 or a 0. In an analog or film environment, the medium can support the hue, lumenosity, and contrast between 0 and 1.

Digital is very precise to the point of affecting the data to fit 1 or 0, analog is very fluid, allowing values for a region to sweep through subtle changes between 0 and 1. Calling it analog is fine but not necessary. When in doubt refer to it as a 35mm Film camera, leaves less to misunderstand.

I think in this case, analog refers to old technology, film as opposed to advanced technology, digital.

As to thoughts on the term "analog camera"? Coming from a strong film background of a few decades, starting in the 60's and having been involved in digital for almost three years, since late 2002, one word; stupid or lame, take your pick. :)

Once again, by Andrew's definition, film is more digital than analog. It absolutely does not allow for any "numbers" other than 1 or 0. When processed, each grain will either be black or white - nothing in between.

Looking at wafeforms on a scope is sometimes a reasonable test to see if a signal is digial or analog, but not always. And, it definitely doesn't have anything to do with the definition of either term.

The essence of "digital" and "analog", and at the very core of the advantage of digital over analog, is quantization and the ability (or inability) to make an exact copy of something. Digital information, as long as it is uncorrupted, can be reproduced in its perfect form an infinite number of times. Analog information, regardless of the quality of equipment, will degrade each time it is copied. Other than that, digital holds no advantage over analog, and in fact, is generally an imperfect representation.

Once again, film grain is digital. Although the methods are not readily available, it is very much possible to make exact copies of a frame of film by examining the state and location of each grain and reproducing the pattern.

"Once again, film grain is digital."

When did clumps of material deposits, obstructing the path of a "light wave" (analogue) somehow become digital? Light is analogue, in any of it's forms, even if pulsed, amplified, filtered or otherwise.

Analogue:

"Of, relating to, or being a device in which data are represented by continuously variable, measurable, physical quantities, such as length, width, voltage, or pressure."

Digital:

"Of or relating to a device that can read, write, or store information that is represented in numerical form."

There is nothing numeric about material deposits.

You guys do like to run with the ball.

You keep this up and you're gonna be restricted from the reading library:)