Default search returns very few images

mikeoday

<p >A quick check today shows the following statistics for different gallery search options:</p>

<p > </p>

<ol type="1">

<li >‘All (no nudes)’ ‘24 hrs’ ‘recent ratings average’ 14 images</li>

<li >‘All (no nudes)’ ‘24 hrs’ ‘recent ratings sum’ 14 images</li>

<li >‘All (no nudes)’ ‘24 hrs’ ‘all ratings average’ 90 images</li>

<li >‘All (no nudes)’ ‘24 hrs’ ‘all ratings sum’ 320 images</li>

</ol>

<p > </p>

<p >I think that it is shame that so few of the images rated anonymously via the ‘rate recent’ feature get a chance of being seen using the default search parameters – the ones used I assume by most casual users of Photo Net.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Setting the gate at a minimum of 5 ratings does not seem so high when images are receiving many ratings but with only 1 rating in 6 being given via the ‘rate recent’ interface and only around 50 images a day receiving more than 1 such rating it would seem that the gate is perhaps filtering too strongly.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Is it not possible to relax the limits for the default search just a little to increase the number of images displayed? </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Regards,</p>

<p >Mike</p>

<p>Thank you Josh I’m sure that will help.</p>

<p>Do you know why the 24hr and 3 day search for ‘recent ratings sum’ requires a minimum of 5 ratings but ‘all ratings sum’ only requires one image?</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Mike</p>

<p >Thanks Josh.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Now I know why my messages are time stamped the middle of the night – that’s because I’m 14hrs ahead of you guys. But shouldn’t you be curled up asleep somewhere?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Cheers</p>

<p >Mike</p>

<p>Josh,</p>

<p>You say, "Instead of lowering the bar, I would prefer to increase ratings. At some point in the not too distant future people will have to make the effort to rate images themselves if they want to submit images for ratings."</p>

<p>Please tell me you mean <strong>critiques</strong>! Again and again I point out that we are submitting our photos for <strong>critique</strong> and not rating. If there are those that want meaningless numbers without words then please let them submit for 'rating only.'</p>

<p>I rate all the images I comment on but none of my ratings count for anything because I never do anonymously. I do think it is a good idea to encourage people to give feedback on images if they want feedback on their own.</p>