Deep CF Express Type B Card Discounts

ShunCheung

Besides the D6, Z6ii, Z7ii and now Z9 are natively compatible with CF Express Type B bards, a year ago, Nikon provided firmware upgrades for the D5, D850, D500, Z6 and Z7 so that one case use CFx in the card slot originally designed for XQD, as the two types of cards have the same physical dimensions and the electronic contacts are compatible.

Recently I received e-mail from B&H that some of the CFx cards are in deep discount. In these days, the ProGrade Cobalt and Delkin Black are the hot cards in demand, since their high transfer speeds match up the best with the new Nikon Z9. Those are certainly not on sale. However, the SanDisk 128G's is discounted by $120 for a final price of $130. That is lower than any XQD prices I have previously seen, but B&H is playing some game, perhaps due to some minimum advertising price restriction, and they will apply the $120 coupon when you are ready to check out.

Similarly,

• the Delkin 1T Power CFx is $790 - $370 = $420
  • the Delkin 2T Power CFx is $1000 - $450 = $550

I think a 1T card can easily last me an entire 2, 3-week trip shooting machine-gun style, but on a per-byte basis, the 2T card is a bigger bargain. But if you don't need those cards, IMO there is no need to rush. I think the global chip shortage is easing and we'll see further memory card discounts. And I'd like to see how my memory card usage pattern changes after I get my next Nikon body.

CFxPrices_2021december29.thumb.jpg.bd5e5c263cc675f7c4847781a8ed3592.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 2

From what I recall, only the SanDisk 512GB achieves the read and write speeds that are advertised, the lower capacity cards don't. The Delkins perform well but until I get the Z9, I don't need a 1TB or even 2TB card. Seeing the prices for the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SD UHS-I card makes me want to cry - remembering how much I paid for those back then when I owned the D7100 and D7200. I try hard to avoid purchasing UHS-II SD cards as I don't think the minimal performance increase over the UHS-I card justifies the exorbitant price.

Glad I am not actually interested in those deep CF Express discounts I posted earlier. All of them are gone after a few hours, although they were around for 2, 3 days before I posted. For example, the Delkin 1T is now $599 instead of $420, and the 2T version is back to $999.

As long as a "SanDisk SDXC Extreme Pro 128GB 170 MB/s U3 V3" costs me 42 euro and a Sandisk CF express Extreme Pro 128GB 1700 / 1200MB/s type B" costs me 269 euro choices for me are clear : I stick to the SD card version. Fast enough for me as i am a "classic" photographer and do notfeel the need for " spry and pray" ...:)
  • Like 2

Isn't that why they made the MF-1 250 or MF-2 750 frame film magazine?

Whopping 4 fps.

Literally "spray and pray" means that one shoots indiscriminantly and hopes that something good or usable shows up in the images. I don't think it's economically feasible to do that on film and few people did that. 750 frames is quite small a capacity compared to 2 TB which fits at least 36000 Z9 raw images ... thus we are not talking about the same degree of spraying. In any case most people who shot action on film did not use those long roll backs (too cumbersome).

What I am keen to understand that if one shoots 2 TB in a day, where will one store those images and how long it'll take to edit them or even decide which to keep. I takes me about an average of 1 week to delete bad shots and edit the good ones per 1000 images shot. So a 2 TB card full of images would mean 36 weeks of editing.

The cards that I actually use are 32, 64 and 128 GB in size. And of the 128 variety, I think I've managed to fill only one of my cards once. Still, despite of this a lot of my friends think I shoot (way) too much, and I completely agree with them. :)

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 3

Not meant to be a daft question (!), but did anyone ever print from a single movie frame, from, say Super 8 or 16mm?

Or does each individual frame have too low a shutter speed to suitably freeze motion?

Yes i did, and the quality depends on the quality and speed of the film, but for newspaper pictures it was often sufficient ( in the 1980's that is).

• Like 1