Death Valley suggestions?

DavidTriplett

Tonya and I will be visiting Death Valley NP for a few days next week. I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions you all might have. We'll be staying in our travel trailer inside the park, and will have a 4x4 pickup truck for exploring. Thank you in advance for your input. David.

Racetrack Playa - about 27 miles from Ubehebe Crater - it's a rough road with 4x4 high-clearance vehicle recommended. Unfortunately, I've not been there yet myself - make sure to inquire about road conditions beforehand.

Scotty's Castle is closed.

Sunrise and Sunset from Zabriskie Point.

Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes.

Father Crowley's Vista Point of Rainbow Canyon with the chance to see some jets in low-level flying training.

Ubehebe Crater

Artists Drive

Twenty Mule Team Canyon - morning or afternoon

Devils Golf Course

Charcoal Kilns in Wildrose Canyon

I'll echo the above, and include Badwater. Also, if you have a chance to get to Lone Pine for sunrise, it is beautiful as well

The Dunes

IMG_0250.JPG.e1469651de4b22293e81166f101007ca.JPG

Mobius Arch Lone Pine

IMG_0251.JPG.2d18655890b54a0786b9e1c3971fa74f.JPG

Painted Desert Death Valley

IMG_8263.thumb.JPG.6bf48ef2d42b06ac31a902e1008970bd.JPG

Badwater Death Valley

IMG_8264.thumb.JPG.e12ad5a04a21014223a994cba48b2547.JPG

Painted Desert Death Valley

IMG_8265.thumb.JPG.b9c71b0defc1ff67cf101c4ccb17c3a1.JPG

Mobius Arch Lone Pine

IMG_8266.thumb.JPG.d92e39a03b8af3978fe9b64d5eb88baa.JPG

Badwater Death Valley

IMG_8267.thumb.JPG.57320706ed42315a40093cd624c15dcf.JPG

• Like 1

345126766_dantesviewandaguereberrypoints.thumb.jpg.563b7b9574da9754f03fcfae5975e514.jpg

Dieter has a good list.

For camping, my favorite is Wildrose campground. It is at fairly high altitude and is usually uncrowded.

Since you will have a 4x4, check out Aguereberry Point, which is not far from Wildrose Campground. It offers a gorgeous panoramic view (lower photo) of the valley.

Another gorgeous view of the valley (upper photo) from the opposite side (East) is Dante's View.

The ghost town of Rhyolite is worth exploring, and the drive back to the valley through the one-way Titus Canyon road is worth the slow going.

Hi David,

I wish you and Tonya a great trip!! There are a lot of great suggestions above. Echoing William, the only things I might add are:

Take plenty of water, more than you think you need.

Take warm clothes as a back-up for cold weather and the desert this time of year can get cold, especially at night.

There is another storm moving through and as you probably know, they recently had snow in Phoenix; with that said, I would check with the local AZ Highway Patrol/Sheriff's office and be sure to let several friends and/or family know where you'll be and when you are coming back.

I would also leave a note inside your trailer telling which way you are going each day; that coupled with your flight plan, if something goes awry, help will at least know where to start looking. Have a great trip and take lots of great pics!!

I'll echo John's comment on water. I was there one year in late November. Daytime high was around 73. I could not believe how much the dry desert air pulls water out of you with every breath. I carried 3 one gallon jugs of water in my vehicle at all times just in case.

Thank you, all, for your kind suggestions. We're experienced desert travelers, so no worries on that count. We'll likely hit the normal tourist spots, but some of your suggestions are intriguing. I'll give a report when we get back. Thanks, again, and happy trails...
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're back. Sadly, Death Valley was a bit disappointing. Nothing much in the way of flowers, and many of the roads to places we wanted to visit (and photograph) were closed due to weather/damage, which tended to concentrate the people who were there in the few accessible places. We left a day early and came home the long way (via US 395 and US 50). Here's the first of several images I hope will be worthwhile, this from Zabriskie Point.1307484117_ZabriskiePoint-5033-(1)-sml.thumb.jpg.6205f04775786a19fe4a409f9d740dcf.jpg

And a black and white version:

1878325070_ZabriskiePoint-5033-(2)-bw-sml.thumb.jpg.ee1062b1f66c33c79b29898eb6401b4a.jpg

Edited by DavidTriplett
  • Like 3