Death of Horst Faas

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by c_wyatt, May 10, 2012.

1. Sad news that Horst Faas, a giant of photojournalism, died today.
    TIME, NYT, AP
    I hope this is alright to post here also, as I can't use the images here, I've written a little bit about his influence in photojournalism and the experience of visiting a permanent photojournalism museum exhibition he helped set up in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City.

2. I was around Faas only briefly, having been in Viet Nam freelance with a camera, not knowing him there but later having run across him when I worked as a photo editor in AP's New York world headquarters during one or more of his visits there before his return to the war.
    A two-time Pulitzer winner with the guts to take on the publishing world when they objected to showing the total frontal nudity of the napalmed girl (against all AP's rules) in Nick Ut's legendary photo, Faas secured himself in several ways as a photo legend, first as as a photographer and as AP's Viet Nam photo boss who was willing to stand up for what was right.
    He was man of courage and courage of his convictions.
    I appreciated the linked blog and recommend reading it and viewing the photos.
    john
    John (Crosley)

3. I have now updated this post by adding a short article about the Pulitzers and Horst Faas by the famed journalist David Halberstam on my blog.
    And hi John, thanks for your reply, always apprecaite you posts, would you be able to message me a contact email you have? My messaging doesn't seem to work currently.

4. A dedicated journalist (and a much braver man than me!).

5. C Wyatt
    You undersold what you posted.
    There are 63 images posted representing much of Faas's life's work while in Viet Nam, especially the early years.
    I remember later, when I was an editor for Associated Press in New York, seeing floods of such images, some by Faas, I presume and others by other AP photographers and stringers including Eddie Adams. Both Faas and Adams made periodic trips to NYC headquarters to consult, and I met them at those times. The photos came by wire and by airfreight package with negatives.
    I had been to Viet Nam as a freelance but did not meet either man during that time, prior to my being medically evacuated.
    I highly recommend viewing the posted set of 63 photos by Faas and of Faas to anyone who has interest in photojournalism and/or the Viet Nam war as it was experienced close up. It contains some world class photography and also tells a terrific story about how unrestrained photojournalism revealed the truth about the Viet Nam war (as much as could be discerned without being there).
    john
    John (Crosley)