Dead?

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by thorthomsen, May 14, 2020.

1. Well, I don't know about you all but I'm going down to the beach before the tourist get here. I need to load up my "To Be Photoshopped" folder so I have something to do for the other 22 hours.

2. They’d been clarified already by John. You overreached as you often do and inserted yourself after my post needlessly. There was no question here of what the rules ARE. The question was whether they should be modified and, as Sanford has already agreed, discussions of rules are usually a distraction from more valuable ways of discussing the generation of PN content.

Now, do you want to keep this b.s. up or move onto more productive comments?

3. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

Breathe. Relax. Count to ten. Please.

(not a specific comment by any means: it is general in nature and universal in its direction. There are several good points made in this conversation, let's keep the content worthwhile enough for someone to read in ten years time)

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    cameragary and Tony Parsons like this.
  4. Maybe the aliens that discover our depopulated planet in the far future will enjoy reading this.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. William Michael

levity is always a good standby.

cameragary and Sanford like this.
  6. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Another Ten Years.

As Shakespeare said :

'Last scene of all, That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.'

That's if I last that long ! :):);):D:D

(NB Levity !)

cameragary and John Farrell like this.
  7. WJT

WJT Moderator

No way, not going to happen! Plenty of other forums for that.

8. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Hey, look at that - you were right ! So often, the answer is included in the question.

cameragary likes this.
  9. If some people believe that PN has manifested some difficulties in it's new form, they should take a look at Deviant Art. The supposed upgrade there is the ugliest, most dysfunctional site I have ever visited. Thank goodness we still have Photo net.

cameragary and Sanford like this.
  10. WELL SAID!

11. Sounds like you are trying to discourage additional membership and activity unless it meets your standards. I have enjoyed PN since 2015 and was set to upgrade to a premium account while increasing my participation. May I inquire what your standards are so that I either comply or take a hike?

12. I have noticed the same trend John. Your work is very good.

13. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Amazing, you can assume all of that from a single question. Contributions have many forms. The list of regular contributors of all stripes is considerable.

14. William Michael

{Here Link} and {Here Link}

Found at the bottom of the page.

WW

15. Lets agree that sometimes the written word lacks the personal context vis-a-vis a face to face conversation. I will choose to view your response to the question from thorthomsen ("Dead" to in a positive manner.

16. I work with a "Twenty-something" and usually show him what I just posted each AM. I often tell him how PN has changed since I joined in '04. Yes I was active from '04-'~'07, then I lost my drive to continue with my photos, and got the video curse. My guy tells me that "Social Media" (something I disdain) has likely become more of what PN used to be as regarding to my quest for grading and critiquing. Back in the day, I could post an image, walk away for a cocktail or two, and have 6 critiques with grading in originality / aesthetics when I got back. Today, I'm lucky if someone even clicks on one of my images for a closer look. I do have a few members who seem to appreciate my style. I'll still keep dumping my images here as a form of keeping me busy. I have 1000s I've never looked at but once over the last 15+yrs.

Thanks !

17. I, for one, stopped caring about your experience here when I took the time a few days ago to respond to the concerns you posted here by critiquing one of your photos. You haven't bothered to acknowledge that, respond to the critique, or reciprocate. That's on you.

18. OK sam I got it ! Your critique was duly noted. I wasn't aware I needed to respond to your input. :(

Thanks for the heads-up john peri about Deviant Art. Joined, posted 6 images there an hour ago, already got inputs, and someone even gave me a "Llama Badge", whatever that is ??? PS, ... it was free to join.

19. It's not a matter of "need." You expressed disappointment in the lack of activity on the site. I'm trying to tell you (and show you) that a decent and respectful way to help generate participation is to participate yourself. By acknowledging, responding to, and reciprocating critiques, we each put some skin in the game and help support each other and increase participation ... unless it's all just about gimme gimme gimme!

20. I have used the forums as a lurker for tech and gear reference for years, finally made an account this week to follow up on a repair thread that was years old (with only small hope) and promptly got 2 very helpful replies. It may not be a thriving cashcow social media site, but I'm not sure where else I would have posed the question I did given the state of the industry and reluctance of any out of warranty repair tech to go "off book" or make suggestions. Keep it alive!