Dead Pixels

michael_mccandless

<p>I was shooting high school basketball and noticed during post that I had one, no two, wait a minute 3 dead pixels. Devastated that my 5D Mark II less than a year old was failing me. I quickly searched for solutions but found nothing. I curled up in a ball and started crying with the thought of having to send my baby in for service. After I forced myself to stand up like a man, I tried one more search and found a solution that sounded so simple I almost didn't try it fearing I would just be dissapointed. Fortunately, it worked the first try. Dead pixels were gone and it only took 2 minutes to fix.<br>

I am posting this to help anyone who experiences dead pixels on the 5D Mark II, or any canon body for that matter. Don't see why this wouldn't work with a Rebel, 40D, 50D, 7D or any other D that Canon has out there. Here are the steps and I hope it saves at least one person from having o send their baby in for service.<br>

1. Get an exposure for several seconds with lens cap on. I did mine for 1 second. This will show you where your dead pixels are or if you have any.<br>

2. If you have dead pixels then do a manual sensor cleaning for 1 minute. See manual for instructions<br>

3. Get another long exposure with lens cap on and check to see if dead pixels are gone.<br>

Worked for me and I hope it works for you. Good luck!</p>