Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by michael_mccandless, Dec 13, 2009.

1. I was shooting high school basketball and noticed during post that I had one, no two, wait a minute 3 dead pixels. Devastated that my 5D Mark II less than a year old was failing me. I quickly searched for solutions but found nothing. I curled up in a ball and started crying with the thought of having to send my baby in for service. After I forced myself to stand up like a man, I tried one more search and found a solution that sounded so simple I almost didn't try it fearing I would just be dissapointed. Fortunately, it worked the first try. Dead pixels were gone and it only took 2 minutes to fix.
    I am posting this to help anyone who experiences dead pixels on the 5D Mark II, or any canon body for that matter. Don't see why this wouldn't work with a Rebel, 40D, 50D, 7D or any other D that Canon has out there. Here are the steps and I hope it saves at least one person from having o send their baby in for service.
    1. Get an exposure for several seconds with lens cap on. I did mine for 1 second. This will show you where your dead pixels are or if you have any.
    2. If you have dead pixels then do a manual sensor cleaning for 1 minute. See manual for instructions
    3. Get another long exposure with lens cap on and check to see if dead pixels are gone.
    Worked for me and I hope it works for you. Good luck!

2. This solution is well known here. I too had the same problem.

3. Lightroom automatically removes them, why can't all software do this
    Ross

4. Since dead pixels are black, how do you see them in an exposure taken with the lens cap on? Do you mean hot pixels, which are colored?