dead horse point state park

gerard_rhinn

I would think sunrise would be better than sunset at Dead Horse Point. As you look down on the vantage in the photo posted above, the sun is coming up behind you and to your left. Therefore, sunset should be in front of you and to your right, meaning that most of the scene will be in shadow because the sun will be going behind the top of the Islands in the Sky mesa.

As far as other scenes at Dead Horse Point, the opportunities are there but they are limited. If memory serves me (check me out, I'm an "Iron Chef" narrator), the view to the south of Dead Horse Point is a bit marred by tailings ponds and piles.

I base this off my experiences at sunrise there; understand that I have not been there for sunset, so I'm going off logic for the rest. Grand View Point down the road in Canyonlands is a neat sunset experience, though it doesn't make the best sunset spot in the world, either. Sometimes it's just cool to go there and see it, even if the photos aren't the greatest.

Gerard,

I've shot Dead Horse Point a number of times and I like it best when there is some cloud cover that bounces sunlight back into the canyon opening up the shadow areas.

I don't particularly care for the minimal aspect of foreground on this image but it isn't too bad. Dead Horse is much prettier than any of the Canyonlands sunrise possibilities in my opinion.

cheers,<div>00Bo1N-22803684.JPG.f2844fa7905caf8cba10c7c09e61a828.JPG</div>

As Christian indicates its a nice but somewhat limited dawn shot and the views to either side aren't nearly so good. If its a clear blue sky the shadows get harsh really quickly at sunrise and in these (common) circumstances I'd be tempted to treat it as a pre-sunrise shot. If you go on to Island in the Sky part of Canyonlands after, Green River Overlook is perhaps the best sunset spot. Again though it looks best with some cloud.

• 2 weeks later...
I head to the Moab area a couple times each year and have always photographed DHP at sunrise. Lately, though, I've seen a tv commercial with late afternoon light that is very attractive so I may alter my shooting schedule on the next trip. Great news because I'm always torn between Dead Horse Point and Mesa Arch for the definitive sunrise shot. Good luck and good shooting.