Daylight transparency

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by bitphotospace, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Erm! no FUJIFILM forum under equipment for some reason so I thought I'd post here (apologies in advance for any pain I might cause).
    I came across the "expert" statement below by a well established online photography "guru" with a massive following which, IMHO, borders embezzlement. any thoughts? - watch the space.

FUJIXtrans.JPG

2. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Certainly possible but proof of concept of an image that would show moiré well (finely ruled lines) with this and an traditional sensor would go a long way to convincing people who find marketing speak alone iffy.

3. This is killing me- heres one of my own shots of a classical moire setup from an x100T (xtrans ii) OOC - the "sharper more detailed" image looks more like a Renoir IMHO.

WT1.JPG

4. and heres ACR processed shot using matching classic chrome profile - 20% sharpening

WT2.JPG

5. an heres, shock and horror, irident extracted file post processed in ACR - you can jack up colour noise reduction all you like and it wouldnt change a thing -

WT3.JPG

6. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Ideally you would shoot a raw of a target or something looking like this:
    [​IMG]

7. nothing beats real life - I just feel sad for all those who bought into the system myself included based on, to say the least, doctored marketing and dodgy expert insights.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  8. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Targets for evaluating moiré and sensors qualities is indeed real life.
    IF the images you've used for testing provide an evaluation you desire, fine. You've answered your own question.

9. My question was actually re. thoughts on unsubstantiated presumably trustworthy claims hoodwinking those with no means of practically checking.

10. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

There are no right answers to wrong questions” -Ursula K. Le Guin
    "If you want a wise answer, ask a reasonable question." -Johann von Goethe
    You got some thoughts and a testing (proof of concept) suggestion. My job here is done.
    Come up with any conclusions that make you happy. Based on empirical testing or assumption.

11. I don’t think you had a question so much as an agenda. You’re perfectly entitled to an agenda and the Internet seems the place to go to badmouth others to an audience which often doesn’t include that other who might speak for themselves. It seems more along the lines of gossip than question.
    That just doesn’t sound like part of a sincere question, now does it? :)

digitaldog likes this.
  12. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Well at least Sam, he did admit: "apologies in advance for any pain I might cause" <g>.

I think more effort in proper exposure and/or raw processing* (at least based on the three building images from the OP) would go farther than worrying about this Fuji sensor or what someone on a Fuji forum stated that may actually end up being true: after proper testing.

*Download any of the above images, crop just the image: the degree of channel and full highlight clipping seen in a good Histogram or Levels with clipping overlay shows, there is more problems with this 'test' image than moiré <g>.

[​IMG]

13. “If one cannot read or rather “perceive” a question - one cannot provide a reasonable answer” quoting myself :) it’s just not that “simple” -

14. [QUOTE="digitaldog, post: 5911403, member: 361342"

I think more effort in proper exposure and/or raw processing* (at least based on the three building images from the OP) would go farther than worrying about this Fuji sensor or what someone on a Fuji forum stated that may actually end up being true: after proper testing.

[/QUOTE
    I thought you already provided the “right” answer by advising on using the linear pattern target - but appreciate your additional effort nonetheless- extremely helpful!

15. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Can I help you further in learning how to format posts here, or expose your raws without blowing out highlights?

16. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

17. appreciated! But then again - my question was re. Moiré :)

18. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Your "question" was "answered" as best as can be based on the qualities (or lack thereof) of the question. By you to some degree. It probably is based on a lack of firm evidence and certainly on sound testing but, as Sam suggested, this really does appear more an agenda than a quest for a factual, proof based process and thus answer.

Really, the big problem I see for you, at least based on what you've shown us isn't moiré, its either the lack of making a proper exposure of the raw, or how that raw was processed.
    Moiré is the least of the issues as you've shown us.
    Maybe consider solving the 'big' problems first, then the minutia?

bitphotospace likes this.
  19. really appreciate you spending more educating time on this thread. btw the image was overexposed to test the raw DR but that’s another “question” -

20. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Yet another reason why, as suggested, that image isn't appropriate for testing moiré.
    As for testing exposure, what product are you using to view a raw Histogram?