Daylight Shadow Issue

<p> I live in Arizona there is very bright Sun here.<br>

I do not know who took these pictures I would guess it was an SLR 35 mm about 400 ASA maybe a 35 mm lens. The Picture with the Cactus about 65 or 70 Feet tall<br>

The other Smaller Cactus how do I get rid of Shadows like this it is the same with any Camera. Do you have a visual example ?<br>

Yes I do how do I upload them from my Pictures on my Computer?</p>

<p>Try reducing your photo to 1000 pixels on the long end, prior to posting here. If your reduced photo that's on your <em>desktop, </em>you could just slide it into position when the "Browser" prompt appears. Due to potential copyright issues, it's advisable that you use your own images.</p>

<p>Agree, Winter tends to stretch the shadows and that would happen with just about any subject. You could use a large prop or material to block the light (a tent ?) to get a softer light. Try using a house shadow for portraits, etc....much softer and more manageable light. Sure, waiting for clouds might take a while :>).</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Try reducing your photo to 1000 pixels on the long end, prior to posting here. If your reduced photo that's on your <em>desktop, </em>you could just slide it into position when the "Browse" prompt appears. Due to potential copyright issues, it's advisable that you use your own images.</p>

<p>Agree, Winter tends to stretch the shadows and that would happen with just about any subject. You could use a large prop or material to block the light (a tent ?) to get a softer light. Try using a house shadow for portraits, etc....much softer and more manageable light. Sure, waiting for clouds might take a while :>).</p>

<p>Les</p>

In your second example the foreground shadow doesn't reach the subject. So the solution there would be to either use a longer lens or crop the picture to exclude the shadow.

<p>

A reflector simply won't work to eliminate this kind

of shadow. Not without being seen in the picture. To be effective a reflector needs to be placed to catch the light, which in both examples is coming from behind the camera. This means that any reflector would throw light back towards the camera and would need to be placed in shot to work.

<p>

A gigantic scrim would possibly work to soften the light, but it would need to be impractically large.

<p>

Basically your example pictures have been taken at the wrong time of day and/or in the wrong weather conditions and from the wrong angle. This is a compositional issue as much as one of lighting. Lighting 101; don't shoot with the sun directly behind you!

<p>

BTW. If the aim of the first picture was to show the height of the cactus, it's failed. The camera should have been used in portrait format and the top of the cactus included. Simply sticking a camera in front of the subject without LOOKING or THINKING about shadow position etc. is bound to result in poor pictures.