Daylight Balanced Softbox

If you want a continous Hot light source, the Chimera video pro lightbanks are excellent, I use a Lowell Tota with a 500watt lamp, it is 3200k, you can put a Rosco #3202: Full Blue (CTB) gel over the front of the Chimera and convert the 3200k to 5500k, but you will loose at least 1 stop of light.With my Canon 10D at asa 400, and that same about of gel and the Chimera ..Im at f2 at 30th with the light about 4 feet from the talent, with video it is no sweat, Im usually at f5.6 .SO it could be too slow for some uses.You can also put a 1000watt lamp in the Tota, that will buy you a extra stop.

Continuous lights do come in 5000 to 5500K but these are flourscents and

usually expensive; Otherwise you have to gel tungstens. For inside work

consider using tungsten film. There are some kits by manufactuers including a

box, but it is their own brand, not a Chimera box which will usually be much

more expensive. You might consider http://www.patersonphotographic.com/

and their digit lights, a lower wattage (300) soft flourscent at 5500K. Read this

months new Shutterbug and the section on new lighting. There are some

references there to check out. There are also plenty of lighting ads to read.

The Chimeras with 5500k are designed for large wattage instruments ,and are expensive,,there is no cheap way to go daylight hot lights I know of except to blue gel. Flourscents and HMI are pricey compared to a tota in a Chimera and blue gel,B&H have the chimera &Totas and also Custom Supply , I use the Xsmall the most, I also have the small, which really seems like a medium. The bigger the softbox the softer the light gets, so get the size that produces the effect you need, This is a good hardy setup, the Totas you cant really break, and the Chimeras will last quite awhile ,also you will need the speed ring for the Chimera to attach the Tota,you might get lucky on ebay and find one,

http://www.mediasupplystore.com/Pages/Lighting_&_Grip.htm

Chimera and Photoflex make softboxes for hot lights ranging in price from $100 to $400 new (at B&H). Chimeras are more expensive, but better made. Chimera also manufactures color correcting front diffusers for softboxes. The diffuser attaches to the face of the softbox with velcro and color corrects 3200k tungsten hot lights to 5000+k. You can buy the diffusers for $70 to $100 from B&H Photo online. The color correction diffusers aren't as cheap as gels but they last a lot longer.

It looks like the only way I can do this is buy getting a Tungsten light and gel it like you

guys mentioned. Its really silly that there are no affordable options for daylight lights. Why

is that? Cant they just drop in a daylight balanced light in there? Why cant it be that easy?

I dont want to deal with a Flash system cause I like to see exactly what light Im getting,

thats why im looking for continuos.