David Ziser blog and tutorials

acedigital

<p>I have recently discovered David Ziser (wedding and portrait pro out of Cincinnati area). He just published an excellent "How to / his methods" book called "Captured by the Light".<br>

If you go to his website http://www.digitalprotalk.com he has a video presentation walking you through this book and all his tips and techniques. Look for "Captured by the Light" - Encore Presentation. about 2 hrs of the best stuff out there should prove informative to newbies and experienced pros alike!<br>

David has a very down to earth style (and some odd pronunciations) and really gets to the nuts and bolts of how he shot each example photo including lighting charts and posing tips. He always makes use of an assistant so that he can have 2 or 3 light sources, very cool. He uses both the Canon 5d Mark IIs and 7D.<br>

David also has videos on using Lightroom and Photoshop as well as other techniques on Vimeo a video sharing site you can find them here<br>

http://vimeo.com/user468120<br>

Enjoy and Thank you David for sharing your amazing talents!</p>

Yeah, I was impressed enough by his kelbytraining.com tutes that I bought the book. I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. I'll find out over the next couple of months whether I learned anything from it. Now I just have to schmooze one of my kids into assisting for me.

<p>Thanks for posting the link and the information. I've been familiar with David Z. for years and have frequently recommended his training DVDs, the last one I got was from the 2006 Digital Wake up tour and it features much of the information in the video. He explains in good detail how to avoid blowing-out highlights, achieving good exposures, and quality lighting techniques. His information about avoiding the "blinkies" and how to interpret histograms is spot on. Young shooters that enjoy blown backgrounds and blocked up blacks are likely to be unimpressed.</p>

<p>I like that he still occasionally posts beautiful photos taken with a 20D, 30D and 40D as well... proving once again it's not the equipment but the photographer. A full frame gear snob he is not (even though he uses FF cameras as well)! I've been enjoying his blog for a while now.</p>

<p>I agree. I believe he is one of the best and I frequent his blog. </p>

<p>Also look for his archived web videos of the "Views of the Face" and "Classic Lighting Patterns" (probably not eact titles, but close). They walk you through the basics of of the clasic views and lighting for each, what to avoid, etc. Very informative and is a great "short version" of formal, classic training.</p>