D90 - Tips & Tricks for Landscape & Macro Photography

st.schwarzer

<p>Hi there,</p>

<p>after many years of a D70, I just got a D90. As the menu options are even more complex now, I wonder what you would consider as "best" settings for landscape and macro photography. I normally use only the "A" setting, and did with the D70 a 2-down-step for the WB settings, to get more contrast. What are your tips & tricks?</p>

<p>Thanks for any hints!</p>

<p>For WB, I'd shoot a WB target for use in post, or I'd take a moment to set a custom WB in the camera, based on the light in which I'm shooting. Landscape and macro work rarely happens at a pace that would preclude the moment or two that takes. And of course, I pretty much always shoot in RAW mode, so that I have complete latitude to adjust WB after the fact without any damage to the image. That way it really doesn't matter if you get it wrong on the fly.<br /><br />As for shooting in Aperture priority mode ... if that technique worked for you while using the D70, it will work the same way with the D90 (though the D90's metering will be a better, in general).<br /><br />One new trick you can do: use Live View for your critical macro focusing. You'll like it.</p>

<p>Cranking in adjustments should be done in moderation, especially true if you are shooting in jpeg.<br>

In other words, if you set (vivid) and try to decrease or increse color while in jpeg mode, you've pretty much crippled (limited) your ability to do so.</p>

<p>I would suggest a (neutral) to (standard) setting in your custom menu if you shoot jpeg.<br>

Trying to force the issue of contrast is totally dependant on the scene lighting.<br>

Keep this at zero adjustment too.<br>

This way, any tweaks you wish to apply can be done later in PP as you work from a (neutral) setting.</p>

<p>If you must use pre-sets in jpeg, you will just have to experiment a little and with time you will be able to assign these to the "custom" menus (A,B,C,D) etc...</p>

<p>As pointed out, shooting in the RAW file format gives you the greatest PP latitude.</p>

<p>There will be times when you will require a exposure adjustment. Then you may use manual or compensation. Setting white balance using RAW and a good tripod can make for sharp image of your subject. A GND filter and CP filter somethings come in handy.</p>

<p>If I am not going to post process much I will use <strong>standard</strong> and tweak the sharpening over to right by one from center..and saturation by one..the rest in middle. The vivid setting is a bit too much for my liking..as opposed to d80 when I could use it and go to +3. I agree with the others..you really have to fool with the setting some..to get the look you like for you landscapes.Everyone is differnent ..I prefer a warmer look ..some may like to do every in post process..and shoot in neutral. I never change the contrast or hue..but I suggest you play with the WB as well. The live view allows you a preview as you go thourgh the white balance settings which is very cool ..especially if you have a HOODMAN to view the screen outside.</p>