Base:

Quick Adjust: -

Sharpening: 1

Contrast: 0

Brightness: 0

Saturation: 0

Hue: 0

Filter Effects:

Toning:<div>00R3Fr-75561584.thumb.jpg.287a230061f0ef7d864867b38b90838c.jpg</div>

Camera Info

Device: Nikon D90

Lens: VR 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G

Focal Length: 50mm

Focus Mode: AF-A

AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 3D/Wide

VR: ON

AF Fine Tune:

Exposure

Aperture: F/8

Shutter Speed: 1/10s

Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority

Exposure Comp.: 0EV

Exposure Tuning:

Metering: Matrix

ISO Sensitivity: ISO 800

Image Settings

White Balance: Auto, 0, 0

Color Space: sRGB

High ISO NR: OFF

Long Exposure NR: OFF

Active D-Lighting: OFF

Image Authentication:

Vignette Control:

Picture Control

Picture Control: [sD] STANDARD

Base:

Filter Effects:<div>00R3Fy-75561784.thumb.jpg.e3c9cdda664d82064f273699fca92630.jpg</div>

Camera Info

Device: Nikon D90

Lens: VR 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G

Focal Length: 50mm

Focus Mode: AF-A

AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 3D/Wide

VR: ON

AF Fine Tune:

Exposure

Aperture: F/8

Shutter Speed: 1/20s

Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority

Exposure Comp.: 0EV

Exposure Tuning:

Metering: Matrix

ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1600

Image Settings

White Balance: Auto, 0, 0

Color Space: sRGB

High ISO NR: OFF

Long Exposure NR: OFF

Active D-Lighting: OFF

Image Authentication:

Vignette Control:

Picture Control

Picture Control: [sD] STANDARD

Base:

Filter Effects:

Toning:

Camera Info Device: Nikon D90 Lens: VR 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G Focal Length: 50mm Focus Mode: AF-A AF-Area

Mode: Dynamic, 3D/Wide VR: ON AF Fine Tune: Exposure Aperture: F/8 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Exposure Mode:

Aperture Priority Exposure Comp.: 0EV Exposure Tuning: Metering: Matrix ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1600 Image Settings

White Balance: Auto, 0, 0 Color Space: sRGB High ISO NR: OFF Long Exposure NR: OFF Active D-Lighting:

OFF Image Authentication: Vignette Control: Picture Control Picture Control: [sD] STANDARD Base: Quick Adjust: -

Sharpening: 1 Contrast: 0 Brightness: 0 Saturation: 0 Hue: 0 Filter Effects: Toning:<div>00R3G7-75563584.thumb.jpg.116a092ddd3a8b7d64b8fbcc8f4fc172.jpg</div>

Nice, even in the usually vulnerable tan/beige type color (typical of many skin tones) the chroma noise isn't too bad at 3200. Luminance noise not bad at all. The D90 really should be a winner for Nikon if they market it effectively. (And I don't mean the recent Ashton Kutcher ads. Nikon can do better than that.)

Hi Landon. Thanks for posting those photos. 'You know what surprises me? The vividness of the colors when I

compared ISO 200 to ISO 1600. I toggled between the highest and lowest ISO photos. The only difference I could

see in the colors was that the green on the stuffed toy was ever so slightly more vivid than the green in the ISO

1600 photo.

And of course, very little noise at ISO 1600.

You are so lucky to have a D90!

I'll see what I can do...

The HD video files are fairly large. I was impressed with the quality of the video although the handling and focus are lacking.

We ask too much of our first generation D90 to turn it into prosumer video gathering devices. It is not designed for that. For

casual work it far exceeded my expectations. I would even say that a carefully planned out scene with top notch lenses and

minimal subject and camera movement you would be hard pressed to not be in awe of the results.

I must say I am disappointed in the lack of character these photos exhibit. I would have to add substantial grain in post processing, which is very hard to do and have it look like film. Clearly Nikon has a way to go in re-creating the look and feel of film grain. Perhaps Nikon need to look to other chip manufactures for "Noisy" sensors or use sensor heaters to increase artifacts. Here is a shot from the Canon 50D at 3200 iso. Clearly more megapixels make for better images. Canon has the advantage with their "Digic" processor and the nicely visible banding.<div>00R3qM-75843884.JPG.aecd1d3a706a3e3571a91917a3712fbb.JPG</div>

@John - Grain-like effects can easily reproduced by employing moderate amounts of noise reduction. The in-camera NR-algorithms are not necessarily the best choice.

Furthermore, noise goes along with resolution. You have to decide at some stage in the algorithm whether a RGB value is contaminated by noise or not. Obviously, higher noise levels cause these decisions to get harder. The usual thing these algorithms do to suppress noise is to recover an approximation of the RGB value by considering what its neighbors do (this can be done at different resolution levels - multiscale). If the neighbors are also heavily contaminated, then fine image details get more and more lost. So your argument that more megapixels make better images is only true at virtual noise-free ISO levels. At ISO6400, a 5DMII with about 21MP has effectively no more resolution than a D3 which has about half of the resolution.

Snarky:

Pronunciation: \ˈsnär-kē\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Snark="snide remark", dialect snark to annoy

A witty mannerism, personality, or behavior that is a combination of sarcasm and cynicism. Usually accepted as a complimentary term. Snark is sometimes mistaken for a snotty or arrogant attitude.

Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.