D90 or D300

cardens

So my dad has offered to buy me a new camera body for christmas :) *YAY*

Its between the d300 and d90. I do weddings and portraits for the most part. Right now I have a d40x and love

it as my "starter" camera it will be used as a backup primarily when I get the new one.

The d90 is new and the d300 is a year old. They are both 12 megpixels.

Im just wondering what anyone could suggest or offer for advice. I always get great suggestions on this site

and im sure someone will be able to help.

Thank you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see much of a reason to wait for reviews - we know what the D90 is<br />

inheriting from, and I doubt seriously that Nikon goofed on this camera.<br />

There *are* reviews that exist already - although not "technical* reviews,<br />

they are geared to *use* of the camera.<br /><br />

I think what's important for you, Veronica, is to sit down and write out<br />

what features are important to you - don't be thinking about the cameras<br />

as you're making your list - simply list what you really NEED, then list<br />

what would be "nice to have's". Then turn to the specs of the cameras<br />

and check off your list. <br /><br />

While you're mulling on about what to do, why not check out what comes<br />

out of the Photokina show - after all, a lot can happen between now and<br />

Christmas. And while we're waiting for Christmas, you might even consider<br />

the D700 - it will probably come down in price and you can probably find<br />

a store discounting it even further through MS Cashback.<br />

"I don't see much of a reason to wait for reviews" mj t-I referred specifically to user reviews of the camera; they will appear

here on Photo.net and dpreview and I consider them invaluable. It's always instructional to learn about the experiences of

others-at least it is to me. There is no such thing as the 'perfect' camera so it's interesting to hear about what others have

seen as a cameras strong points and weak points (what Popular Photography calls What's Hot and What's Not) and then

decide what if anything will affect me. cb (P.S. I refer to people who,like us, actually buy and use the camera, not those

who are given the camera to try out and review)

You might want to consider this as a way to evaluate the feature set of each camera:

1: Does dad have 1600 dollars for a body only (yes/no)

2: Do you own or plan to own ai/ais lenses (yes/no)

3: Do you need weather sealing (yes/no)

4: Do you need 6 fps/ 8 fps with mb-10 (yes/no)

5: Have you ever dropped or plan to drop your camera (yes/no)

6: Do you ever take time lapse photographs (yes/no)

7: Do you take a lot of pictures (shutter life) (yes/no)

8: Do you have a personal dislike for picture modes (yes/no)

9: Do you require quick access to camera functions (yes/no)

10: Do you like your camera to be built like a tank (yes/no)

11: Do you NOT want to take movies with the camera (yes/no) (the wording is strange on this one just to make

the counting process logical)

Tally it up.

If you have more then 5 yes' then it's a D300

If you have more then 5 no's then it's a D90

If you feel like it's still too close a call, get a D300 and you'll have no regrets apart from the movie mode

that the D90 offers.

*Thanks to Dan Park for directing me in the right direction with his D200 vs. D80 questionnaire on which this

questionnaire was based.*

@John Williamson - I know it might be a stretch to go much<br />

further with respect to body (D90/300 vs D700), but like I said,<br />

the price will most likely come down on the D700.<br /><br />

Secondly, Veronica states that she is shooting weddings and portraits,<br />

so my assumption is that she's making money off her work. If she isn't,<br />

then what you're saying makes sense. However, it might be that the work<br />

Veronica is doing might be better served by using a full-frame<br /><br />

The question that is not answered is what lens investment does<br />

Veronica have (?)<br /><br />

Don't get me rwong, the D300 is an awesome camera - I'm<br />

looking outside the box at other options.<br /><br />

So, if we're going to answer the original question - if Veronica does<br />

not need video, I'd say the D300 is the way to go.<br /><br />

For whatever it's worth, Veronica, I shoot weddings with S5 Pro's, D3's,<br />

and D700's (added recently). I've, in the past, shot weddings and portraits<br />

with D200's - the D200's are spot in, so the D300 will work just fine.

WOW thanks guys. Great advice.

I dont have much invested in lenses. I have the kit lens 18-55 and a 55-200 VR. So I am pretty open as far as the body in regard to lenses. Yes I am doing weddings and portraits. My prices are low right now because I am building my portfolio. But in the long run I hope to be doing it full time and be able to support myself with just my photography.

I have 8 weddings booked from now till next may hopefully more to come.

I did notice the d90 has a built in movie camera feature which is pretty awesome and I would be able to use that with my 2 yo daughter. However I do have a sony handycam which does that job pretty well.

I hope to be a photographer for a long time and would like to get a camera that I can get the most use and life out of for the long run. So no Ian, I would like to hang on to my new camera for a while. I have the d40x since March of this year.

1: Does dad have 1600 dollars for a body only (yes - I found the body for http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=25432&gclid=CPyildOIyJUCFQMtswodV21DiA

2: Do you own or plan to own ai/ais lenses - I dont own any right now

3: Do you need weather sealing - Would be nice because a lot of weddings are in the humid summer

4: Do you need 6 fps/ 8 fps with mb-10 - to be honest im not sure

5: Have you ever dropped or plan to drop your camera No, I hope I never do

6: Do you ever take time lapse photographs not yet

7: Do you take a lot of pictures (shutter life) yes

8: Do you have a personal dislike for picture modes kind of

9: Do you require quick access to camera functions sometimes

10: Do you like your camera to be built like a tank lol it may be nice!

11: Do you NOT want to take movies with the camera (yes/no) (the wording is strange on this one just to make the counting process logical) Nice feature but I dont need it

I am really leaning toward the d300. I just need a good solid factual reason as to why to tell my dad lol.

The d90 is new and the d300 is a year old. They are both 12 megpixels.

Tough choice. I suppose it's about the optimum photo quality, and the latest technology. And of course there's

always the opportunity of tommorows superior technology. Yes,it's hard on the credit cards but you just have to keep

up....lets be honest who wants to look at your work thinking it was taken on yesterdays crap technology.

Of course some,the sad,just take photos. Jeez,,they really need to get a life and understand that photography is

about having the latest gear. They should have some repect for us folks who have to look at their inferior, outdated,

months old ancient stuff....

".lets be honest who wants to look at your work thinking it was taken on yesterdays crap technology. "

Most people dont even know what camera you used to take the pics when they look at them. Im not sure what your post is all about but I am just trying to get opinions. I dont care how old anything is if it is good.

Thanks

Veronica, just to add to what Fred said, when you find any store online....go to resellerratings.com and type in their name to see what kind of feedback they've gotten. For example, on the link you gave the store Wild Digital had the lowest price of $999....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/WildDigital

you can see the people who've shopped with them are quite unhappy. I didn't check all of the stores but IIRC TVDepot was another rip off and lenses and more sounded familiar too. The only store that looks reputable on that list is TigerDirect. The D300 is currently $1600 at bhphotovideo, and maybe close to Xmas it will drop a little more.

expect the d300 to be about $1500 new by xmas.

that's $500 difference vs. d90.

if you are doing any paid work, the d300 is a better option and will pay for itself in a short while. it's a pro camera while the d90 is an amateur camera (albeit a good one).

the differences may seem incremental at first, but they add up in the long run.

the more durable body is worth the cost differential alone, but the additional dedicated buttons make shooting more ergonomic and intuitive. the d90 has some attractive features that you dont really need for professional work, while the d300 has everything you need and nothing you don't.

i would only get a d90 over a d300 if b) weight is a concern, b) budget wont allow another $500, c) if you really really want video, or d) if you plan to get 2 d90s and use a 2-body set up at gigs.

These are both very fine cameras. Since you already have a compact model with fine IQ, even though with lens limitations and a reduced feature set, I think the obvious choice would now be for the D300, with its excellent build quality and advanced features. The D90's movie clip may be of some occasional benefit, perhaps more if shooting for sports leagues, in combo with still shots. But that is something quite new and of unproven reliability. Otherwise, the durable, versatile and well-designed D300 is built more for professional use. Since you are so fortunate in that your father is willing to buy it for you, this is your opportunity to go for the premium model!!

The D40x will still serve well as an alternative when compact carrying is needed for your purposes, and as a backup.

Would be getting the MB-D10 or the MB-D80? If you are intending to get the battery grip, I think the D300 would be a better choice. What I understand from users of the D80 is that the MB-D80 has a bit of a problem in terms of contact, so not sure if this will be manifested in the D90 too.

Since you got a handicam and shoot a lot of weddings, I do not think that you really need the video function. While either cameras are going to be a big step up from you D40x, I think that you are less likely to "outgrow" the D300 any time soon.

Do not worry about the one year old technology, the technology did not get worse during that time frame. Rather than seeing the D300 as a one year older technology to the D90, see the D300 technology as one year younger than theD40x =)

BTW, have you factored in new lenses as well? To do weddings I'd imagine even with the D300's excellent high ISO performance you'd still want some faster glass. It'd be a shame to spend $1500 on a body but only use decent lenses for professional work like weddings and such. Whichever one you get you should look into the 50mm 1.8 as well. Almost everybody loves it, and it's pretty cheap too compared to other fast lenses.

My friend is exactly in the same situation (I am 17); I myself already have a d300, but have personally recommended him

to get a D90. The main reason for this is that the while the D300 has some nice features, such as 51 point af, faster frame

rates, a better viewfinder and better ergonomics, it is a <i>heavy</i> camera, and has, otherwise, virtually the same

features as the D90 (e.g. sensor, therefore noise levels, and same lcd). However, the price difference is quite large still -

$500. This would be enough to get a decent lens, such as a Tamron 18-50mm f/2.8, which you would like for weddings and

portraits. If you do go for the D90, also wait for a tiny bit, as prices will come down fairly rapidly.