D90 mirror lock up work around?

damon_macleod

<p>A one-second delay should be more than sufficient for any vibration from mirror slap to die down. In fact, personally I prefer the 0.4 second on the D2X and D200, but apparently plenty of people prefer a slightly longer delay.</p>

<p>The main issue for a long delay is that you start losing control of the precise moment the image is actually captured. That probably does not matter if you are inside a studio and have full control of the environment. For outdoor wildlife or flower macro type shots, 1 second can make a big difference. I wish Nikon would add user-selectable delays between 0.4 and 1 second.</p>

<p>Well, outside of mirror lock up it's the best you can do. I was out shooting film the other day and had the camera set to a 2 sec. self-timer delay on a tripod. For some telephoto shots I could definitely see through the viewfinder that getting my hands off the camera after pushing the shutter release was making a difference.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not the same as self-timer. Self-timer only helps with vibration caused possibly by your finger pushing the shutter button and delays the mirror/shutter combined action, but does not help reduce any vibration caused by the mirror up movement.<br>

With the exposure delay mode mirror action is separated from shutter action by 1 second time delay, allowing mirror caused vibration to decay.</p>

<p>Good to know. I was not aware of this function. Is it exclusive to the D90? Do you have to use the menus to toggle this mode on and off, or is there a physical button or dial that can enable it <em>a la</em> MLU mode on a D700?</p>

<p>Thanks to Frank for pointing out the differences between "exposure delay mode" and the self-timer.</p>

<p>This same feature is on the D100, D200, D300, D700, D2 and D3 families (and perhaps some others). The delay on the D2 and D200 was 0.4 second as I mentioned earlier but it is 1 second on the current models.</p>

<p>On some older film bodies such as the FM/FE series, the self timer would trigger the mirror at the beginning of the self timer cycle so that you get the so called "pseudo mirror lock up."</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
<p>Quick questions?: If you use the D90 exposure delay to cut down on vibrations will a finger press on the shutter have dampened out by the time the shutter fires or is it still a good idea to use the remote? Second, can you use the timer AND the exposure delay on the D90?</p>

• 1 year later...