D90 and what lens?

r._bond

<p>I am about to buy a D90 (body only). For now, I will get one lens to go with this camera. I am a beginner (I begin photography classes in December), and so I would need to get one lens that will allow me to explore all areas of photography until I figure out what I like to photograph best. What do y'all recommend I purchase? Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>We have no clue what kinds of things you anticipate photo'ing the most. Any ideas? You match the lens to what you want to do, and want to spend. The Nikon 18-200mm VR is a very good general purpose lens, but it does cost a bit more than some others.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>The 18-200 VR gets my vote as well. For a beginner, this lens is perfect for you to try almost all kinds of shots ranging from decent portraits to breathtaking landscape. I bought this lens when I got my D60 about 1 1/2 year ago and now I'm still using it on my newer D90.</p>

<p>First, and most important question.... how much do you want to spend ? It makes no sense to listen to Mercedes priced suggestions, if you have a Honda budget.</p>

<p>As a general rule, the basic zoom lenses are a good place to find out what type of lens you will use the most. Which one and how good it will be depends on money.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. 16-85VR, then a 70-300 VR: Their IQ: cost: keeper quality are most appropriate for this body. Exc resell value, if necessary.<br>

2. 18-200 VR, (2nd choice), with DxO software<br>

Once you get comfortable and experienced with your favorite focal lengths, consider some fast primes in those lengths, or a fast zoom.</p>

<p>I suggest like Luis G that you ask your professor what to get. Set a budget and look for the lens. Most lenses will do something very well and something else not quite so well. You could get a small light fast prime or a big heavy do all zoom. There is a lot in between. For me I would look at a used 18-70mm Nikkor or a 17-50mm f2.8 type zoom or a fast prime.</p>

<p>In the long run, a fast normal zoom such as the 17-55/2.8 will most certainly be the most useful. In that regard, I would recommend the new Tamron 17-55/2.8 VC for about $600, which is about the same size and price as the 18-200, but it will deliver much better IQ. In addition, being a f2.8 lens, not only you can shoot in low light but also explore what DOF can do to your images, a topic that should be essential to all photography classes. I would also pick up the 35/1.8, an outstanding lens and compact in size. I usually carry it when I need to shoot in very dark places. In a recent trip to Japan, this lens helps me to shoot in small and dark temples. BTW, I have a D90 and love it. Use the video functions, which are just fun to have.</p>

<p>I would recommend the 35mm 1.8 nikon. A great lens, not much $$ and when you are shooting you will focus on what is most important, not thinking about zooming around. It will help you set you eye for sharpness. A zoom is still a compromise.<br>

But I agree that the wide to moderate zoom, which is fast (2.8) and VR is a very good choice. 18-85, 18-50 all end to be much better and more expensive than the 18-70 VR that comes with the camera. But, that isn't a bad lens for the money. I would encourage you to think about another lens only after you have been shooting for a while and found out what you like shooting the most. Top choice 35mm 1.8, second is a fast 2.8 zoom. If you are just planing on traveling, where you will need a great zoom range the 18-200 is great for that and you can learn and shoot lots of things. But when it is dark (and that can be a lot of places, the faster (2.8) or 1.8 would have huge advantages. You have lots of good or great choices. Enjoy the shop and then the camera.</p>

<p>Hi Rachel!<br /><br />I got my D90 back in February, and I have to say I am loving it! I got it with 2 kit lenses: 18-105 VR and 70-300 VR. I find I use 18-105VR the most - gives you enough flexibility, especially if you are just starting out. I find it a really good lens. I barely use my 70-300 VR. 2 weeks ago I acquired the 50mm prime lens, f1.8 and LOVING IT! it's VERY inexpensive, but renders amazing images. 18-200VR is, I agree, fantastic glass, but I find the price prohibitive.<br>

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy your D90!<br>

Irina</p>

<p>The D90 comes with the 18-105. A very capable lens to start with. Most people add a 70-300mm telezoom. I did this when I got my D90 and it was kind of a waste. now that I have the 70-200 the 70-300 sits on my "collection" rack. I hate the 18-200 IMO it is the biggest waste of money there ever was. To slow, horrid in darker conditions, I do not and would not ever buy one. also I keep seeing people recommend the 35mm. the D90 and the 50mm or even 85mm work best for portraits. I actually use the 50mm and my 70-200 for portraits the most. </p>

<p>I bought my D90 a few months ago wit the 18-105 - for the money its a very decent general purpose 'take anywhere' lens . I have added the 70-300, the 35/1.8 and the 50/1.8 - now feel I am pretty much all set. Suggested order of purchase would be the 18-105 followed by the 50/1.8 (portratit) followed by the 35/1.8 (general purpose low light) followed by the 70-300 (if you need it). Good luck!</p>

<p>rachel, i was in your position about four years ago.i started with a d80, 18-70 and 70-300 ED. both those lenses are now gathering dust on my shelf.</p>

<p>honestly, i'd forget the idea of an all-in-one lens. the 18-200 is way overpriced IMO, it's not really sharp unless you stop it down, and it's too slow (5.6 max aperture on the long end). similarly, i'd only recommend the 16-85 for someone who's really into landscapes--it also has a slow variable aperture. i'd also hold off on a telephoto right away.</p>

<p>you'd be better off with the tamron 17-50 which has way better IQ (image quality) than the 18-200 and gives you a constant 2.8 aperture throughout the entire focal range. that means that you can take no-flash,available-light pics (which you can't do with any of the kit lenses) and have nicely defocused backgrounds .</p>

<p>the 17-50 will work for landscapes, portraits, sports and everything in-between, and you won't outgrow it a year or two from now. it also mitigates the need for a fast prime (except for extreme conditions). if i could only have one lens, that would be it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rachel,<br>

when i bought my first DSLR i got it with the kit 18-55mm lens. it's a half decent lens for a begginer who has no idea what's her/his interest in photography is. here <a href="http://mooostudios.com/city/main_city.htm">http://mooostudios.com/city/main_city.htm</a> all photos, except the first one, were taken with that lens. however it's a limiting lens. since then i switched to two primes - 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8.</p>

<p>i would strongly recommend you go with a prime lens - you will learn discipline in composition and seeing before taking a photo instead of just using zoom - 50mm, 35mm, 30mm are all good to start with.</p>

<p>have fun with your camera.</p>