D850 vs Z7

bdmott

I'm currently using a D700 with several AF-S lens'. I want to get a new camera body that will perform better in low light (improved ISO range) and have better resolution than my current camera. I shoot mostly portraits, sports, and concerts.

I've researched both camera bodies over the last couple of weeks and would like to hear pros and cons from this forum. Both are equally priced in US at present so cost is not a factor.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you like EVF vs Reflex finder?

If you are going to use the lenses you already own the D850 is more compatible. You can use most F mount lenses with the Z7 but they don't work as well.

Although i do not like EVF I would pick the Z7 rather than the D850 but then I would have to buy all new lenses. Z mount lenses are not many but they all seem to be excellent.

You should get plenty new responses here, but for the moment you might want to check a related current "D850 vs Z6" thread which covers many of the basics that would also apply to the Z7.

Thoughts on the Z6

Other than higher sensor resolution, the specs of the Z6 and Z7 are very similar (the Z7 offers more PDAF points at 493 vs 273, has a "low ISO/high dynamic range" option like D850, but lacks some video features of the Z6). In one sense, the Z7 is the "mirrorless D850" many have clamored for, but there are tricky nuances to consider.

With AFS lenses, D850 is still superior for sports, fast-moving environmental portrait situations, and concerts where things are moving very quickly. The Z7 AF system is not as optimized for AFS lenses: like all mirrorless cameras of all makes, it works better with its own dedicated mirrorless-specific (in this case Z mount) lenses. Mirrorless and mirrored cameras each work best with different types of lens AF motors: the Z7 can work quite well with AFS lenses via the FTZ adapter, but may let you down unexpectedly in certain situations where you've found the D700 rock-reliable. Even with dedicated Z lenses, mirrorless AF still hasn't quite caught up to D850 performance in terms of frenetic action situations.

If your typical work runs a notch or two below ultimate breakneck speed, the Z7 would be a more seamless transition. Sports in a more contained field, portraits that are more traditional than active, and concerts where band members aren't running all over the stage unpredictably play more to the Z7 strengths (esp traditional portraits, where the Z7 AF can have advantages over D850). Out of the box, Z7 AF could be baffling to a long-term D700 user:. After some experience accumulates, the different strengths of mirrorless AF could be exploited enough to narrow the gap considerably.

• Like 1

Do you like EVF vs Reflex finder?

If you are going to use the lenses you already own the D850 is more compatible. You can use most F mount lenses with the Z7 but they don't work as well.

Although i do not like EVF I would pick the Z7 rather than the D850 but then I would have to buy all new lenses. Z mount lenses are not many but they all seem to be excellent.

i have way more money invested in good glass than these camera bodies combined and i'm not going to replace them. The mirrorless Z does not have such a compelling over riding advantage that I should get one.

• Like 1

You should get plenty new responses here, but for the moment you might want to check a related current "D850 vs Z6" thread which covers many of the basics that would also apply to the Z7.

Thoughts on the Z6

Other than higher sensor resolution, the specs of the Z6 and Z7 are very similar (the Z7 offers more PDAF points at 493 vs 273, has a "low ISO/high dynamic range" option like D850, but lacks some video features of the Z6). In one sense, the Z7 is the "mirrorless D850" many have clamored for, but there are tricky nuances to consider.

With AFS lenses, D850 is still superior for sports, fast-moving environmental portrait situations, and concerts where things are moving very quickly. The Z7 AF system is not as optimized for AFS lenses: like all mirrorless cameras of all makes, it works better with its own dedicated mirrorless-specific (in this case Z mount) lenses. Mirrorless and mirrored cameras each work best with different types of lens AF motors: the Z7 can work quite well with AFS lenses via the FTZ adapter, but may let you down unexpectedly in certain situations where you've found the D700 rock-reliable. Even with dedicated Z lenses, mirrorless AF still hasn't quite caught up to D850 performance in terms of frenetic action situations.

If your typical work runs a notch or two below ultimate breakneck speed, the Z7 would be a more seamless transition. Sports in a more contained field, portraits that are more traditional than active, and concerts where band members aren't running all over the stage unpredictably play more to the Z7 strengths (esp traditional portraits, where the Z7 AF can have advantages over D850). Out of the box, Z7 AF could be baffling to a long-term D700 user:. After some experience accumulates, the different strengths of mirrorless AF could be exploited enough to narrow the gap considerably.

I think the lens' are going to make my decision for me. I keep looking for a strong reason to purchase a Z but I really don't see one.

• Like 2

I have a bunch of DSLRs, including a D850, and a Z6. I take advantage of the pros for DSLRs and mirrorless such that I use the right tool (for me) in each situation. If you shoot sports, I would stick with the D850 for better AF. Not sure what kind of "concert" you are talking about. If it is rock, it doesn't matter, but I shoot violin recitals and the quiet Z6 is a huge advantage.

The Z6/Z7's EVF is wonderful under low-light condition, and the small size is an advantage in some occasions, but I by far prefer dual memory cards for any critical work. Mirrorless is also better if you shoot video.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of DSLRs, including a D850, and a Z6. I take advantage of the pros for DSLRs and mirrorless such that I use the right tool (for me) in each situation. If you shoot sports, I would stick with the D850 for better AF. Not sure what kind of "concert" you are talking about. If it is rock, it doesn't matter, but I shoot violin recitals and the quiet Z6 is a huge advantage.

The Z6/Z7's EVF is wonderful under low-light condition, and the small size is an advantage in some occasions, but I by far prefer dual memory cards for any critical work. Mirrorless is also better if you shoot video.

So if you could only have one what would you do?

i have way more money invested in good glass than these camera bodies combined and i'm not going to replace them. The mirrorless Z does not have such a compelling over riding advantage that I should get one.

If you have premium AFS glass that you're happy with and don't feel the need to replace (or can't replace because Z equivalents aren't yet available), the decision is moot: the D850 would be the more natural upgrade from your D700. The Z7 is a phenomenal camera, but its core advantages play to older (manual focus AI/pre-AI Nikkors) and newer (Z mount) lenses than the most common AFS (and if you have any older screw-drive AFD glass, no AF at all on Z7).

The D850 does provide a "quiet mode" option that is nearly silent for concerts and weddings, but it isn't as natural or convenient as the Z7. D850 must be put into mirror lockup mode with rear LCD live view, which may create a visual distraction more annoying in some environments than shutter noise. The Z7 with its EVF is always in live view mode, so using the rear panel LCD isn't required.

Nick D. brings up a good point you haven't addressed: if upgrading from D700, why skip over the D750 in favor of D850? The D750 is tremendous value at the moment, and will only get cheaper as the expected D760 arrives. Its 24MP sensor is a more significant upgrade over the D700 12MP than you might think in terms of resolution, high ISO and dynamic range, while still keeping manageable image file sizes. D850 has a nicer body build and the "ultimate" versatile sensor, but 46MP files are huge and (arguably) unnecessary if you don't have any plans to print large.

Edited by orsetto
  • Like 3

I suggest you look at Brad Hill's blog,

Natural Art Images: Voice: Brad Hill Blog

He is a wildlife and sometime landscape shooter of admirable skill. He has just posted a blog about his experience in the field with his D850 and Z7. He goes to some length to ensure that the reader understands that the features he values and those he doesn't stem from how he uses the cameras and conditions under which he shoots. So I wouldn't regard his opinions and recommendations as universally applicable (and he doesn't either), but you'll know know more about both cameras when you are through reading.

• Like 1

bdmott, I currently shoot with a D850/500/800e D7200 and D3s. All these bodies are two or more years old now but are perfectly fine and have outstanding image quality. I have an advanced Fuji point and shoot that I really enjoy as an intro into mirrorless. I am waiting to see what Nikon does with mirrorless and figure that my next purchase may likely be a second generation Nikon Z system camera. Olympus, Sony and Fuji have more evolved mirrorless systems if your starting from scratch but I am hoping to stay with Nikon. If I buy a Nikon Z it may well be as a landscape body until I am happy with the autofocus speed. Additionally I see no reason to make cameras too small to balance on a super tele long lens. Canon is probably in the same boat. Their DSLRs are known for their dynamite speed. Currently if you have a need for speed I would go with a gripped D850 otherwise the Nikon Z cameras are the future.
  • Like 1

So if you could only have one what would you do?

An old question that used to be asked fairly often was that if you could only use one lens (especially a fixed focal length, non-zoom), what would you use? My answer is very simple: if I cannot change to a lot of different lenses and focal lengths, I wouldn't be interested in photography at all.

I have been using Nikon SLRs since 1977 (DSLRs in the last 17 years), and I had other film SLRs for a few years before I switched to Nikon. Of course I can still survive with DSLRs only, as I could have still enjoyed photography shooting film today or having manual focus only today, but AF and digital have opened up a lot of new areas for me. Likewise mirrorless have made certain things more enjoyable, e.g. video.

If I were you, I would just get a D850 and perhaps add some mirrorless gear when you have such needs.

• Like 2

This article compares the two very well. https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-7-vs-nikon-d850.

Also look at this lens compatibility list from Nikon. I noticed that the Nikon 200mm micro lens is not listed but I put it on anyway and found that it does not auto-focus on the Z7. This is one personal disappointment. Hwvr, while you are making your decision, I believe it makes sense to add some weight on new technology and minus some points from DSLR, which may become a thing of the past sooner than we think.

This may be helpful too: https://theartofphotography.tv/nikon-z-system/nikon-ftz-adapter/

Edited by Mary Doo

I noticed that the Nikon 200mm micro lens is not listed but I put it on anyway and found that it does not auto-focus on the Z7

Unless someone builds an AF-D adapter with a built in focus-motor for screwdrive lenses, no AF-D lens is gonna work on a Z series camera, not just the 200mm micro.

Nikon has also totally neglected the long macro lens sector.

200mm 2.8 Z macro anyone? Not on the roadmap, but who knows?

I can see the current pairing, like Shun, of being the D850 and the Z6, as being a great complementary setup. Not quite sure what the Z7 brings to the party for me.

found that it does not auto-focus on the Z7

None of the screw-driven AF lenses will auto-focus on the Z50/Z6/Z7 for the simple reason that the FTZ adapter is lacking an AF motor. Auto-focus is only provided with AF-P, AF-S and AF-I lenses that have their own motor build-in.

I shoot mostly portraits, sports, and concerts.

I keep looking for a strong reason to purchase a Z but I really don't see one.

Eye-AF might be that reason - but that's for you to find out. I suggest you rent a Z7 and find out if the AF system works better for your needs than what you are used to from the D700. Granted, the D850's AF is also a huge step up from the D700 - but eye-AF is only available in the Z bodies.

Personally, I would only go with a Z if I planned to get Z lenses as well; I have no inclination to use an adapter to mount F-mount glass onto a Z.

use an adapter to mount F-mount glass onto a Z

I have an AF dead 500mm f4 AF-S AND an AF dead 600mm f4 AF-S, so am wondering how good the focus peaking in the EVF is in the Z6/7 as obviously I can now only use MF! I may try the AF TC mod...;)

Using them to MF with the D810's focusing screen is hard. The focus peaking in LV with the D850 is kinda OK, but I'm hoping the Z6/7 EVF is much better.

so am wondering how good the focus peaking in the EVF is in the Z6/7

I don't have experience with the focus-peaking in the Z6/Z7 - but I do have some from the Sony A7 Series bodies. Not from using extreme teles though - so it might actually work better than I experienced. Which was: utterly useless gimmick if one plans on having even the resemblance of putting focus where one intends to.

I may try the AF TC mod

What's that?

I use manual focus when I do close-up photography, so for the 200 AF D, the lens should still work the same way I would use it on DSLR. This is a relatively specialized lens that sold in relatively small volumes, so it really isn't surprising it wouldn't be on the list of priorities for Nikon. I typically pair the 200 Micro with the 85 PC-E, which is a manual focus lens.

Ah, that one.

More and more convinced that TCs aren't worth the trouble paying for them and carrying them around. They certainly do degrade the optical performance of whatever lens is put in front of them and in most cases AF performance is also negatively affected. I just went through the considerable trouble of AF fine-tuning the 500PF and 300PF with both a TC-14E and a TC-14EIII on two D500 bodies - and I am still not happy with either lens/TC combination though I am quite certain I have maxed out on what the very limited AF fine-tuning provided by Nikon is capable of. I got rid of the TC-17EII some time ago and wouldn't think of acquiring a TC-20E, EII, or EIII.

• Like 1

I use manual focus when I do close-up photography, so for the 200 AF D, the lens should still work the same way I would use it on DSLR.

Not too excited about the prospect of less flexibility, but will have to accept it now unless one mounts it back on a DSLR. The same thing when I tried the Sigma 180mm APO macro on the Z7. Oh well... the price of new technology (sarcasm).

i have way more money invested in good glass than these camera bodies combined and i'm not going to replace them.

Which lenses do you have?

Remember that not all the lenses which resolve 12 Mp of D700 will resolve 46 Mp, really. Forget about regular amateur glass and legacy ones.

For my recent example, yesterday I saw Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-s which is pitiful on D810 wide open. Although it was great on 12 Mp sensor of D700.

I would switch to Sony A9 or A9ii.... If I did pro work. Or.... Canon - Canon's RF 50 1.2L has become famous! Really gem. Lenses are the name of the game. And lens-sensor combo.

• Like 1