D810 serial numbers - any USA versions that do not start with 3?

robert_bouknight1

There seems to be a bit of a fire sale on D810's right now, they aren't much more than D800's on Ebay. I picked up a 2nd one (been using two mismatched DSLRs forever), in super nice condition. 10K more clicks than my primary user, but it does not look like it has been used at all somehow. Works great.

I noticed that the serial number starts with 89x3xxx. The one I have been using (refirb that I got a deal on early in the D810 cycle) starts with 3004xxx. It really does not matter to me if it is a gray market camera, but I am curious. Anyone with a US model have a serial number that starts with anything other than 3?

I'm sure I will get a D850 someday, but right now they are around 2.5x what I paid, not worth the difference it to me yet.

Hogan's explanation is general guidelines, but exceptions are not uncommon. I personally have a couple of Nikon USA DSLRs that have serial numbers that start with a 2 instead of 3. Having said that, the three Nikon USA D810 I have used all have serial numbers that start with a 3.

Sometimes Nikon would redirect products from one market to another, e.g. early in the production cycle where there is shortage in some parts of the world. I recall a case that Nikon USA was selling DSLRs intended for the Australian market with charger plugs for Australian AC outlets as well as warranties for Australia.

Sometimes Nikon would redirect products from one market to another, e.g. early in the production cycle where there is shortage in some parts of the world. I recall a case that Nikon USA was selling DSLRs intended for the Australian market with charger plugs for Australian AC outlets as well as warranties for Australia.

Did they also carry an NikonUSA guarantee? Would Nikon in the U.S. repair them?

Since those cameras originally designated for another market were imported by Nikon USA, Nikon USA provided a one-year warranty. Other than the plug for the charger, the cameras for all markets are the same. It is only a matter of whether Nikon USA makes money importing them or not.

I guess it wouldn’t be that simple for radio-triggered flashes as the radio frequency can be different for different countries.

I have done some research on Nikon camera serial numbers, presented here: Nikon Cameras

The serial numbers quoted represent only those I have seen so far so they are far from complete. I am sure that most serial numbers go well beyond the numbers given, and that some regional serial numbers are missing completely.

Having said that, the general serial numbers given by Thom Hogan don't really hold for most cameras these days, except for 2xxxxxx for Japan and 3xxxxxx for USA. Most older camera models seem to have fairly broad regions such as Europe, Asia, USA, while some later models have very specific regional serial numbers. For example I recently came across a D810 with 550xxxx serial number and a Korean warranty sheet. The serial number did not fit any other ranges so it appears this range is specific to Korea. I have come across one D810 with a 890xxxx serial number similar to the OP, the code above the barcode on the box was "D810 (ME)" which I speculated was Middle East, but on reflection I suppose it could also be Mexico (I don't get a lot of info from these regions so it's hard to say)

It is not uncommon for cameras with serial numbers from one region to end up in another region. Most of these are probably grey market (parallel imported), but sometimes they are imported by the official distributor, probably to make up numbers for a shipment. The only way to be certain a camera (or lens) is not grey market is to have the Nikon USA warranty sheet.

The only way to be certain a camera (or lens) is not grey market is to have the Nikon USA warranty sheet.

The problem is that for a number of years, Nikon USA did not even supply any warranty card/sheet for DSLRs. You need to provide the sales receipt from an authorized Nikon dealer to obtain warranty service. I don't recall exactly when they started supplying the warranty sheet again, perhaps around 2012 when Nikon introduced the D800. My record shows that both the D800 and D600, both introduced in 2012, came with the warranty sheet.

In the US, you need to call Nikon USA or perhaps ship the camera to them to get a definitive answer whether a camera is Nikon USA or so. I also read about some stories that Nikon USA's record was messed up and they refused to repair some Nikon cameras they had imported. Therefore apparently they have some kind of database or record with all the serial numbers, but clearly it is not a perfect system. And it took the camera owner some effort to demonstrate that it is a Nikon USA camera.

Thanks all, so far. I did ask the seller, they stated that they obtained the camera with the understanding that it was a US model, FWIW. They also said that they called, but Nikon USA wold not indicate one way or another over the phone. The listing did not indicate US or not, I did not ask prior to purchase. I'm happy with the camera and deal as it is, and am sure I could find someone to work on it (out of warranty, anyway) if necessary (unlikely).

I would like to hear from anyone with a known USA D810 with a number that starts with 89, just so I could indicate in a distant future sale.

Edited by robert_bouknight|1

From what I have read a number of times, Nikon USA wouldn't identify whether an item is Nikon USA or not based on the serial number over the phone. Therefore, sending it to them is really the only way to get a definitive answer, and of course that is annoying. If you have a newer DSLR from 2012 on, the warranty slip is a reliable proof, but if you are dealing with something like a D300, D700, etc. there is no Nikon USA warranty slip.

Attached are the warranty slip for my D7100, bought new in 2013. Its serial number starts with 25..., not 3. And on the box for my D850 sample from Nikon USA, there is a sticker that says US and there is another sticker with its serial number (which indeed starts with a 3), but it should be pretty easy to print those labels yourself.

D7100Serial_9743.jpg.5e239a076018ccf5d1b6588291123067.jpg

D850Box_9745.jpg.2ee93858b80fb1fd1c3f48842bc66639.jpg

I understand the need for wanting Nikon USA to service a camera that is still under warranty for free and that you then want to be able to show that a particular item is not a grey market item.

However, I really do not see the value in it for older items that are no longer under warranty. Is it that Nikon USA will not repair any grey market items even at the customer’s expense? If so, that is a seriously unclever business strategy.

• Like 1

However, I really do not see the value in it for older items that are no longer under warranty. Is it that Nikon USA will not repair any grey market items even at the customer’s expense? If so, that is a seriously unclever business strategy.

heimbrandt, that topic has already been discussed many times. Gray-market products really hurt Nikon USA's profits; to some degree, gray market even threatens Nikon USA's existence. Therefore, Nikon USA is using the threat about unable to repair to discourage people from buying gray market.

The D7100 is an exception to the rule that Nikon USA cameras have a 30xxxxx serial number. I assume they started at 25xxxxx instead to give them more head room so numbers would not increase to 40xxxxx and overlap another regional series.

As for the D810 with the 89 serial number, I checked my records, these cameras have "ME" on the code above the barcode, and are for the Middle East (United Arab Emirates etc) so there is a high chance they are grey market if sold in USA. But only Nikon USA knows for certain.

I was using the D7100 warranty sheet as an example. I also have a D2X and a D7200, both Nikon USA models and the serial numbers starting with 5 and 2, respectively. While it is true that among the Nikon DSLRs that I own (all Nikon USA imports), most of the serial number indeed start with a 3, exceptions are not that rare. Edited by ShunCheung

• 1 month later...