D810 - Battery Cover

erik_christensen3

<p>When I returned home from my half day photo tour this morning in tropical rain, I noticed that that the battery cover was missing on my D810! Fortunately I found it in my photo bag and managed to put it back, however, is seems that it is not as tight at one side as it should be. Likely that a lens has being laying on top of it under pressure, when closing the bag.<br>

I have absolutely no idea, how this has happened, it is the very first time on my 6 Nikon bodies this has happened. Is this something, which is general known or has I been extremely unlucky. The camera is placed in the open bag, when driving from location to location.</p>

<p>I'm a long time D800 (got two of them) and DF user (got both D800's and DF shortly after their introduction) who have a similar, not exactly robust, battery door construction.<br>

In particular on the DF it tends to come off too easily (no personal long time working experience with the D600/610750, but the times I handled them I noticed they have the same battery door construction)<br>

Although it might be said that considering the price of the camera(s) that feature might have been constructed more robustly, in my experience it, apart from the embarrassment when if falls of the camera (which in the case of the D800's fortunately is in my experience hardly ever the case), it doesn't really matter.</p>

<p>When the battery goes into the chamber the springloaded orange tab will hold it into place, and since the electric contacts are on the top of the battery, well inside the camera, and thus in case the battery door is unfortunately lost, no issues with possible interruption of the electricity occur.</p>

<p>So basically it comes with the (flimsy) construction, does happen sometimes, but as far as the operation of the camera is concerned, IMO doesn't really matter</p>

<p>On a side note, the battery door of my SB800 has a similar flimsy built quality and also comes off too easily. And in this case it's even intentional (in order you can take it off and you attach the SD800, extra 5th battery chamber, more easily)<br>

And when it does come off, quite a bit more of a problem, as it it's part of the electric power circulation, which without the door is interrupted.</p>

<p>So (possible) loss of the battery door on the DF/D800/D810 is annoying, but IMO could be worse</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, I was hiking on a remote island. After the hike, I realized that the battery chamber cover on the D810 was missing. Fortunately, the latch held the battery in place. After I got home, I ordered a couple of replacement covers from Nikon in Los Angeles. The shipping cost was higher than the part cost.</p>

<p>The D800 and D810 use the same battery chamber cover.</p><div>00eEgE-566439384.thumb.jpg.9e5425afc2d7a687325d42486c90f2f5.jpg</div>

<p>This the part: http://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d800%252fd800e%252fd810-battery-cover-unit.html</p>

<p>Part cost is negligible. That is why I bought an extra one since shipping cost is a big chunk of the overall cost. The annoying issue is that if you lose the cover, the battery is exposed, depending on the latch to hold it in place. In the field, if you can't hold the battery in place, you may be talking about using duct tape or something or your camera is suddenly disabled.</p>

<p>At least the single-digit bodies D2, D3, D4, and D5 don't use this type of battery chamber cover.</p>

<p>Nikon could have made that battery chamber cover a lot more robust, but it would also have added to the weight and bulk. The D800 and D800E were made in Japan and they use exactly the same part.</p>

<p>As I said, it would have bothered me a lot more if the camera were disabled when a certain small part is broken or missing. With the latch holding the battery in place, this cover is not as important. That was exactly why I didn't even know it was missing for probably an hour or two when the D810 was still functioning perfectly, and it continued to work for the following days when I was traveling. I didn't buy replacement parts for a couple of weeks until I got home.</p>

• 4 months later...
Battery door fell off my D810 one of the first times I took it out in the field, shortly after buying it. Hinge pin broke, simply putting the camera in or out of my bag. This is the first non-flagship Nikon I've purchased (I was impressed by the sensor resolution). I am VERY disappointed in the build quality, and will not buy this level of camera from Nikon again. Nikon should be providing us ALL with replacement doors--it is unacceptable for all D800/810 users to have to take the tim, effort and money to repeatedly replace a faulty part. Never had a problem with my F3, F4, D1, D1x or D3s. I hope someone at Nikon reads this!

Nikon's battery doors have been an Achilles heel since the D300/D700 to my knowledge, and probably before that. Why? Who knows.

At least there's a battery retainer clip inside the door of the D800/810. My D700 was rendered unuseable when the rubbishy plastic door broke, and at the time there was no local supplier of spares. I resorted to repairing the door - as shown in this old thread.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/fix-for-d700-battery-door.442803/

I have been using Nikon DSLRs since 2002 with a D100. At least in my experience, the battery cover door has fallen off exactly once, on a loaner D810. And since the latch held the battery in place, the camera continued to work just fine such that I didn't notice the problem probably until hours later.

Therefore, while this is an annoying issue when it happens, I don't think it is a major problem. If one has concerns, spare parts are inexpensive and small. You can always carry a replacement part. When I travel, I bring extra lens caps, rear lens caps and camera body caps for the same reason. I have lost those far more often then the battery door.

"Therefore, while this is an annoying issue when it happens, .... "

- Extremely annoying, since for almost no extra cost to Nikon it could be totally prevented.

"I don't think it is a major problem."

- No, not once you realise the battery door is built like eggshells and have the forthought to stock up on them. But like the OP or myself with the D700, the first time it happens you might have no access to spares. It also knocks your confidence in Nikon's design expertise and their build quality.

Canon's battery doors have a properly made and designed metal hinge pin.

Having never owned a canon DSLR or taken note when changing a battery in one, are their's meant to be removable?

I know Nikon makes a little rubbery removable notch to let the auxillary/mains power cable pass through the body without having to leave the door open, but why's it meant to be SO removable?

Equally, I'm always worried I'm going to snap the hinge-pins from my SB800 battery door, if/when I use the booster battery thing, but touch wood, it's still OK:)

Edited by mike_halliwell

I've never had any Nikon battery door drop out or unhinge itself. I store my cameras and lenses in well padded bags so they never touch each other when carried.

The D810's vertical grip has a different type of door though; it is similar to that of the D3/.../D5. But still, I've used various Nikons without vertical grip for 23 years and never had an issue with battery doors coming off on their own. This makes me think it is not quite as common a problem than some seem to imply.

Google "Nikon battery door problem" and see how many hits you get.

Then do the same for "Canon battery door problem".

QED.

And yes, most Canon battery covers have a spring-loaded hinge pin to allow quick and easy removal. But they tend not to fall off or break accidentally.

Err, bit of a daft question, but why are they meant to be so removable? Replaceable maybe, but there is a big difference.

If you look at the battery cover on the J5, it's a miniature marvel of metal springs and what looks like a stainless-steel hinge pin, well secured in the bottom chassis. It looks like it's built to last and will never break, and I suppose not be easy to replace if it does!

At-least they've moved away from the battery cover latch actually 'holding' the battery in by compression from the connector springs in the battery chamber. That was a recipe for failure, and indeed I had to buy a couple of replacements, especially for the early EnEl3 powered DSLRs.

Now, the things that DO drop off are the little eye-cups, the DK21s, on most of my DSLRs. They seem to slide off when any upward pressure is applied, like the removal from a camera bag catching on anything. I remember finding 3 on the trail at Shark Valley, Florida.... 2 were Nikon, one was a Canon. I handed them in at the kiosk and, although I couldn't see it, swear they popped them in a half-full jam-jar under the desk!

I prefer the round screw-in ones on my 'pro' bodies.