D810 accidental re-set

Matthew Brennan

<p>Yesterday my D810 re-set itself. I'm a tad bewildered as to how I could have accidentally simulaneously pressed both designated re-set buttons for 2+ seconds as the camera was tripod mounted with Ai lens and basically all I did was a custom WB then used the command dial to adjust exposures as required.<br>

<br />The body appears to have reset to full factory defaults with all my exposure/metering inputs reset, file and file types reset, battery sequence (I use the MB-D12 grip) and memory cards saving flow all re-set. I checked the batteries when I went through and re-entered my inputs with grip battery still full and body battery at 22% remaining so maybe a power drop during battery switch over not likely......... I have run off a few dozen exposures after getting it back to my settings with correct functioning thus far.<br>

I guess it's possible that I hit the re-set buttons but mounted on the tripod with no need to cradle the body I think this is highly implausible. Has anyone had a dubiuos re-set on the D810 or other D-SLR before?</p>

<p>I haven't had that kind of self-reset happen to any of my cameras. The only glitch I've had with the D810 is when in cold weather (i.e. between -25C and -15 C) and high humidity by the sea, it would refuse to take the shot or would leave the electronic aperture wide open (E type lenses, e.g. 24 PC-E) for a shot. It did show "Err" as well.</p>

<p>Matt: I've had my D810 since shortly after its release -- I guess it's been almost 2 years now! -- and have never experienced anything unusual; certainly nothing like an auto re-set (that would tick me off!) The only thing odd that I experienced with a D Nikon was once on my D3s: the LCD panel just shut off (replaced the battery, although it wasn't low - then it was ok again). I asked Nikon about it -- their response: was I using any 3rd party components (batteries; cards that were not on their approved list) - so that may be something to consider in your situation? It never happened again, so I opted not to send my camera out to be repaired or checked -- and hoped it never happened on a critical shoot (later bought the D810 as back-up; but then found myself grabbing for the D810 most of the time - the D3s became the backup!). Hope that was just a fluke for yours as well!</p>

<p>All genuine Nikon batteries and grip here, however, I think my problem was actually pretty obvious if I'd made a physical check of the unit.<br>

As it turns out the rubber pin plug from the underside of the camera body was partially folded over in it's storage slot on the grip and may have been enough to cause a gap and a separation of the grip pins from the body slot. Another dozen exposures down the track and all is functioning perfectly.............</p>