D800 vs D800E vs D4

ayano_aya

<p>I need a back up camera!<br>

I currently use D300s and D700 (which I just turned in to get something fixed. Within warranty I am able to ''trade'' it into another one....)<br>

Looking at my options.<br>

My main type of photography is still,slow movements, low lights...AND then the opposite when I shoot for fashion which is OUTSIDE, in forests, low light sometimes, also BRIGHT light, and faster movements (when model jumps off something for example)</p>

<p>I like to use the D300s for only the backup.<br>

With a lower budget i am thinking back and forth. Everything I ''make'' I most likely invest in filters and other nice toys :) but it will be worth it, once it makes sense to me. I just need someone with more knowledge to explain it to me by chance.<br>

This is what I just read about the D800E :<br>

D800E, with the AA Filter Effect Cancelled,Nikon explains to us is that the D800E has the same filters in front of the sensor as the regular D800 does, including the anti-aliasing filter, but the D800E has an additional filter to cancel out the AA. However, we are now spoiled by the D3S and the up-coming D4. In comparison, the D800’s top ISO 6400 is no longer state of the art.<br>

Also I am wondering if there are any differences with lenses with the mentioned cameras...</p>

<p>thank you everyone :) I appreciate it</p>

<h2> </h2>

<p>How do you use your photos? The D800E seems more suited for studio and landscape photography than fashion. The D800 seems more like what would work for you in that class.</p>

<p>The D4 is if you need super-rugged and super-fast. More for Sports. The D3s and D3x are now discontinued, I believe.</p>

<p>If the D700 works for you now, the D800 will work GREAT for you.</p>

<p>From what I've seen, and from a theoretical point of view, I don't think anyone actually <strong>needs</strong> the D800E over the straight D800. Any (very, very, very) slight improvement in resolution over the D800 will be easily eclipsed by any lens defect, diffraction effect, camera shake or subject movement. Weigh the negligible "sharpness" gain against possible moiré issues and, to me at least, the D800E isn't worth the extra money or aggro.</p>

<p>The choice between D800 and D4 or D3s should be much more clear cut, since they're all completely different cameras.</p>

<p>BTW, I don't think Nikon's explanation of the operation of the D800E's AA filter, or lack of one, is entirely accurate. Once spatial frequencies have been attenuated by an AA filter, it's almost impossible to optically reverse the process. Also the spacing of an AA filter from the sensor is critical to its operation, and simply putting another filter behind it would upset that carefully calculated spacing. So I think some marketing dead-head has been let loose to write Nikon's aforesaid "technical" explanation, with no idea of what they're talking about.</p>

Rodeo Joe, you can view the patent on line if you like. I don't think it is marketing, although I would agree that something

is lost in translation (both from the original Japanese and from the physical optics to layman.)

<p>There are already a number of D800/D800E comparisons on the web. Rob Galbraith has also posted one: <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11676-12555">http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11676-12555</a></p>

<p>I have yet to try a D800E yet, but from what I read on the web, I am sticking with my D800E order. I place that order late, in mid April. So it may be a while before I can receive it, especially since the EN-EL15 battery recall and therefore shortage maybe holding up camera deliveries.</p>

Rodeo, the number of filter layers is the same in both E and non-E; the orientation of one of the layers is different, which

attempts to reverse the effects of the first layer. I'm not sure why you think it's almost impossible? Nikon rarely markets

just hot air; clearly they have discovered / engineered something that works if they bring it out in a product like the D800E.

I do agree with you that the straight D800 would seem preferable to most users ... cleaner images, plenty of resolution. I

love the D3X for any kind of photography involving clothed people; the rendition of fabrics is great, and the D800 should

only be better.

To the OP, if you need to do jump shots and the like, with available light, then the D4 or a second hand D3s would seem

ideal. I've used the original D3 for dance shots and the high fps was helpful when capturing something elusive. For straight portraiture and fashion, the regular D800 should be ideal. If you do the action shots with flash,

then I don't see how high fps would help you since the flash recycle time will limit you more than the D800's

fps rate unless you use some very fast flashes. Btw you can get a second hand D3s and a new D800 for about the same money as the D4 alone and if you don't need the high speed often then ...

<p>Thank you. I am still getting used to where to place my questions. I will I guess ask NIKON related questions ask at the NIKON portal.<br>

Like somebody mentioned, if the D700 works good for me, the D800 will even be better.<br>

I always try everything out and see where my limits are. Being in photography a while I will never stop learning.<br>

When it comes to my fashion shoots they are almost NEVER at the studio. We have lots of outdoor projects and beach , rainy, windy etc sessions! A simple ''portrait'' camera isn't what I need.</p>

<p>I will do some more research! Thank you so much for everyone, I appreciated your suggestions !</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Like somebody mentioned, if the D700 works good for me, the D800 will even be better."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>After one week using both the D700 and D800, I have to agree -<em>only-</em> if we are refering to the <em>camera body; </em>I`d say<em> everything </em>is better here.<br /> But, sensor wise, it can be -quite- debatable. If we compare a D700 full sized print to a same sized D800 print (don`t know a D800E), I bet the difference is simply negligible. <br /> If we refer to the sensor, I`d say; <em>"if the D700 works good for me, the <strong>D3s </strong>or <strong>D4</strong> will even be better"</em>...</p>

I have the D4 and my D800 is on order. I use the D4 for sports but you should not overlook two areas where the D4 is

superior to the D800 - in low light and the build quality. The D4 at 12,800 is better than the D700 (I upgrade from that

model) at 3,200. The D4 color range and dynamic are superior.

DxO rated the sensor of the D800 higher but we will have to wait and see real life tests by experts like Thomas Hogan.

The D800 has been getting a lot of attention over the D4 because of the 36Mb and its price, but the D4 is a superb

camera and unbelievable in low light.