d800 is not for me

david_distefano1

<p>i <strong>was</strong> i the market to purchase a d800, so i tried a friends d700. the d700 felt like a tinker toy in my hand and the specs say the d800 is smaller than the d700. the auto industry for the last 30 years or so have gone from designing cars for men to designing cars for women. it seems as if nikon and the rest of the camera makers have changed their designs to make cameras for small handed people who can't lift a feather. i can hike all day with a f5 and lense and hasselblad, roll film backs, digital back and lenses. i have large hands and the dinky d700 felt weighless in my hands and i couldn't hold it steady. i never have that problem with the f5. what nikon should have done was offer the d4 body with the 3 sensor options, d4,d800,d800e. similar to a car body with different engine options. yes i tried the d700 with the add on battery pack but it does not have the same feel as the solid body. i am sure there are other men out there who have the same complaint that i have trying to handle these tiny toys in their large hands.</p>

<p>I don't know about you, David, but I'd rather carry less weight around than more. I'm a 63 y/o guy of average proportions and in reasonably good shape. By the time I load up a pack with three or four f/2.8 zoom lenses, a camera (currently a D200 with an 800e on order), a Gitzo Series 2 CF tripod and head, and other miscellaneous items, I'm looking at 30-40 pounds. That's a lot for me to schlep around, especially if I have to go any distance. Call me girly, but I'm not getting any younger. I've thought about a D3x or a D4, but they're BIG! And heavy! If you're a large enough man for that not to be an issue for you, congratulations! If I can get the features I want in a lighter body, I'm going for it.</p><div>00a4ap-446239584.jpg.27cc03cf2f90b86e6dca2f3e350baee2.jpg</div>

<p>Wow Dave (may I call you Dave?) you're a real he-man. I'm in <em>todal awe</em> of your <em>awesomeness</em>. Next time I'm staggering up a mountain track with a backpack containing my D700 and a few 2.8 zooms, puffing and blowing (I'm only 64 years old), I'll try to remember that <em>I'm nothing but a</em> <em>panty-waist</em>.</p>

<p>Maybe - and I ask this ever so humbly - you could perhaps post a snap of one of these teeny weeny DSLRs in your enormous paws. I think we'd all be thrilled to bits.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Roy</p>

<p>I have big hands and I don't find the modern mid-size cameras (I'm including D300, D700, F100 in that category) to be too small. Granted, a D7000 with grip feels much better than without, but I'll still shoot that without grip and not feel uncomfortable.</p>

<p><< the specs say the d800 is smaller than the d700. >></p>

<p>Really? Oh great!!! (LOL LOL)</p>

<p>I was worrying that it would be too big. Last week I filled my bag (Guru Gear Kiboko 22L) with the equipment I would need for a photo trip. The bag was so jammed there was no more room for anything additional. Among the equipment were two D300s. And the filled bag weighted 37.6 lbs. Then... Ouch! ... I slung it over my shoulders, then walked my dog. The bag is well designed enough to be comfortable clinging to the back, but the weight felt like my ribs were pulling apart. Oh well, this too, will pass, I hope. I was thinking to do this a few times each week, then I would be ready for the next trip. Thank goodness the D800 will not be crazy big! :)</p>

<p>Well camera's come in all sizes and shapes. Just pick out one that fits your needs and go with it. I have a F100 and like the grip and everything a lot. Most of the times it's just perfect. However I bicycle a lot and it is to big and heavy to carry in my panniers. However right now I just carry it anyways. </p>

<p>Dear Dave, I doubt anyone cares. Is there some greater good to your bashing a great, new product designed for a particular segment of the photography market? Do you offer any sort of solution? Do you illuminate any identifiable problem or identify any issue that Nikon overlooked? No! Then what's the point?<br>

No haters, man! Life's too short. If you don't like the D800, don't f-ing buy it. Relax. Start wagging more and barking less.</p>

<p>i should have put my age also. i am 60 in june. i look at hiking and backpacking as twofold. one to get out and photograph and two to do cardio with nature in all its glory. i live next to yosemite and sequoia/kings canyon. my wife has a d300 and when i try to use it the camera in my hand moves as if the wind is blowing at 100 mph but put that same lens on my f5 and the camera is steady as a rock. my hasselblad with its heavy lens hand held is steady. i will not spend money for a d3x which is old tech. all i was trying to say for people like me with large hands a d4 body with d800 sensor option would be nice. the add on battery pack does not have the solid feel</p>

<p>Just for reference:<br>

Skilsaw Mag77 275.2oz<br>

Pentax 67 86.0oz<br>

D700 35.1oz <br>

D300s 30.0oz <br>

D7000 24.3oz <br>

D90 22.0oz <br>

D80 20.5oz <br>

D5100 19.7oz <br>

HTC Thunderbolt 6.2oz<br>

iPhone 4.9oz<br>

Pack what you can, but don't trust your smart phone for mountain rescues. Leave room for a first aid kit and some survival gear -- maybe a signal mirror. GPS batteries can fail. Weather happens.</p>