D800 Focus Fix or Nikon's idea of a joke?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by bms, Sep 7, 2012.

1. bms

bms

Sort of an update to a previous post by Joel J on the D800 focus issue, to which posted.
    I sent my D800 in for service with the left focus point backfocusing, after Nikon USA reviewed my original images and send me a shipping label. I took about 2 1/2 weeks to come back, not bad (I had sent in my V1 for something a few months back and it took much longer).
    The good news? Both LEFT and RIGTH point focus correctly. The bad news, teh center point now fron focuses by a few cm and the upper and lower center pointsare even worse!
    For simplicty, I printed this focus chart - I did use the same lens (AF-S 85mm f1.4) I used before in the above thread, wide open. I did move closer to enhance the effect. I did this after I first tried tp reproduce the original, not quite optimal setup and just got crazy results....
    Anyone else have this experience?
    00anY8-495445584.JPG

2. Field curvature of the lens won't be cured by a focus fix ....
    You need to use the appropriate focus point. If best sharpness is in centre pf the frame, use the centre AF point.

3. I am sad (and quite disappointed) to say that I just went through the IDENTICAL experience to you. My camera is expected back in Melville Monday. I have used Melville probably a dozen times over the past few years and have never had to send an item back.
    The AF is so far off on the center point that I was shocked the camera was returned this way. A CSR there has assured me that the camera will be corrected properly and said he would be following it for me. I will keep my fingers crossed.

4. bms

bms

Bjorn, above using the center focus point, and center is not in focus. Live view/contrast AF puts the whole plane from right to left "0" more or less into focus (the paper is slightly skewed), I don't think there is too much field curvature. Left and right points puts it in focus, too.
    Elliot, sorry to hear that. Waiting for a response from Nikon. I guess my shoot Sunday may not have a lot of keepers.... :(

5. Benjamin, if your fine tune your center AF point and only use it, you should be fine for your shoot.

6. bms

bms

Good point!

7. This is highly unfortunate. My D800 doesn't have focus point discrepancy.

I have come up with a theory about Nikon and Canon and how they split the high end market. According to it, for
    alternating periods in time, the two companies switch customers, each time selling a lot of new cameras and lenses. The
    two customer groups are sports and landscape photographers (to simplify things a bit, without loss of generality). Nikon
    and Canon CEOs have this regular meeting where they go to sauna together and drink sake. Nikon CEO says 'ok, you've
    had the landscape guys for a while and we would now like to sell some gear to them. We took the sports photography
    market with the D3s, while you guys conveniently produced cameras with poorly functioning autofocus but with high
    resolution'. The Canon CEO says 'So you will promise to screw up the autofocus on the D800 and put a small buffer in it, and in return we will fix ours on the 5D
    and 1DX but add some pattern noise on the 5D so landscapers won't like it as much. Five years down the road, we will
    switch customers again. Ok?'' Nikon CEO says 'let's drink to that! Have some more sake.' Disclaimer: This is intended as
    a joke, although I fear it might have some truth to it. ;-)

8. mine came back from Melville working perfectly but I don't shoot charts..perhaps it is not...

9. bms

bms

Illka - :)
    Roy - I'd rather find out before shooting if I have to focus on the eye or the ear to get the eye in focus

10. bms

bms

Just to elaborate, here is a shot using Live View focused at the same location:
    [​IMG]
    And here is one using the left most AF focus point
    [​IMG]