D800 and MB-MD12 batteries

ford_kristo

<p>I have noticed that the old EN-EL4a battery (for D3, D300 etc) seems to almost fit the new BL-5 battery cover for the EN-EL18 battery when used in the MB-DB12 Battery Grip. It appears that if the small plastic lug on the top side of the EN-EL4a battery was removed it could be used with the BL-5 cover.</p>

<p>There is a difference in voltage output between the two batteries, namely:<br>

EN-EL18 battery is rated at 10.8 volts 2000mAh<br>

EN-EL4a battery is rated at 11.1 volts 2500 mAh</p>

<p>Is the output difference between the two batteries (0.3 volts higher in the EN-EL4a) likely to do damage to the D800 or the MB-D12?</p>

<p>The price to set up a D800 with two EN-EL18 batteries (~$320) and an MH-26 charger (~$320) totals about $640 (B&H prices) and is quite ridiculous.</p>

<p>It would be nice if I could continue to use the EN-EL4a for both my D3 and the D800. One charger, one kind of battery and no exorbitant price.</p>

<p>Has anyone tried to use the EN-EL4a with the MB-D12/D800?</p>

<p>While the D3 battery does indeed fit inside the grip, it does not appear to align properly with the battery contacts of the D800's grip.</p>

<p>Since the D800 comes with one EN-EL 15 battery (the correct battery for the D800) and a charger already, you really only need 1 more battery at a cost of about $75. And prices are sure to go back to their original levels soon enough. And/or cheap generics will become available.</p>

<p>Thanks Bob, I appreciate your response but I wasn't seeking conjecture.</p>

<p>There will be thousands of photographers who already use EN-EL4a batteries and have lately bought a D800. </p>

<p>If this is a viable work around, they stand to benefit in a significant way. There is also an environmental benefit in that less batteries would be consumed/wasted.</p>

<p>For these reasons, I think it is worth finding a substantive answer - rather than just saying "nah" without an informed rationale for doing so.</p>

<p>The reason Nikon stops using the EN-EL4a is that it hold too much charge and is considered to be unsafe, at least according to Japanese safety regulations.</p>

<p>Unless you also have a D4 that comes with EN-EL18 batteries and the charger, buying a charger and batteries just for the D800 is quite expensive, as you notice. I wonder why you need the extra power from the EN-EL18. One EN-EL15 can provide close to 1000 still captures on the D800. If you have one inside the camera and another one inside the MB-D12, that should give you close to 2000 still captures. Unless you use GPS extensively or capture a lot of video, that really should be sufficient. An EN-EL18 will not give you faster frame rate on the D800 unless you use DX crop, and even so, the difference is 5 vs. 6 fps.</p>

<p>Another much cheaper alternative is use AA batteries in the MB-D12.</p>

<p>Thanks Sam. I am aware of the fps speed.</p>

<p>This is not about fps. The reason for wanting more power is that I often do 3 minute or longer exposures with NR=On and use AF/VR a lot on longer lenses. I can run down an EN-EL4a in a day.</p>

<p>Additionally, it would be convenient to streamline the ancillaries - ie, multiple batteries of the same type and one less charger on field trips. </p>

<p>I have looked into AAs (approx. $AU 160 for 16 PowerEx cells and an 8 cell charger) but I won't be totally convinced until I resolve the EN-EL4a possibility.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a lot of rechargeable AA batteries, mainly Eneloops in these days. I can't image you spend more than $20 to $30 for eight of those plus a charger. You can probably buy two sets of 8 for less than the cost of a BL-5 battery chamber cover.</p>

<p>Those 8 AA batteries can also fit the MB-D10 grip for the D300/D700. The main down side is that AA batteries are dumb batteries without electronics built in to notify the camera that they are exhausted.</p>

<p>P.S. In these days 1 Australian $ is about the same as US$1.</p>

<p>Thanks again Sam.</p>

<p>The $160 price (including freight) was the cheapest I could find from a US supplier who ships to Australia.</p>

<p>In Australia the cost was over $200 (plus postage) for exactly the same goods. We get skinned by overseas companies when it comes to prices. We pay up to double the price that items can be purchased for in the US. It applies across the board - clothing, software, music and sadly, photo equipment. In fact, there is a parliamentary inquiry into price gouging at the moment.</p>

<p>I inserted a battery into the D800 chamber without the BL4 cover and was quite surprised to see that it actually does connect to the grip's contacts (it does not reach the pins with the BL4). The battery display flashes a few times and then shows empty so it will not work. I guess the camera knows best what it needs! And yes, my camera still works (frankly I didn't think it would fit, especially since there are two small plastic fingers inside the grip at the centerthat I thought would prevent contact. I was quite concerned when I saw the battery meter come on!)</p>

<p>FWIW, there are numerous companies in the US that will forward freight purchased from anyone in the US to you for a nominal fee above the actual freight cost. I know of one (a customer of mine) and would be happy to provide you with their information if you email me.</p>

<p>A little off topic, but can anyone tell me if the FPS rate of the D800 can exceed 4 when used with a battery grip. My D700 and D300 both are faster and this means alot to me as I shoot birds in-flight. I can't seem to find it in the Nikon Spec's. Thanks!!</p>

<p>If you capture the entire FX frame, the D800 always has a maximum frame rate of 4 frames/second, regardless of whether you use 12-bit or 14-bit capture and whether you use the MB-D12 grip or not. Using a larger battery such as the EN-EL18 or 8 AAs will not increase your frame rate.</p>

<p>Elliot, you are a very brave man. I stand in admiration in your shadow.<br>

"I was quite concerned when I saw the battery meter come on!" Understatement?<br>

There should be a Photonet Medal of Honour for blokes like you!<br>

I am reminded of the phrase "Don't try this one at home folks." This could be a job for Mythbusters.</p>

<p>When you say it "shows empty so it will not work", did you actually try the shutter button? I got this response through Nikonians:</p>

<p>"The internal operating voltages are lower than 10-11 volts so there is a PWM voltage converter and regulars for each of the several voltages needed. Using the slightly higher voltage would reduce current drain from the battery, just the opposite of what would be expected from ohm's law if the load was resistive.<br />I think it would be a good choice if you had the batteries already. Note that the extra terminal is used for both charge rate detection for the charger and for charge status for the display. So there might be a slight difference in rear LCD display for charge state than expected but it all relative anyway."</p>

<p>After reading this, I did sit there with the EN-EL4a held in a trembling hand, poised over that small, dark, black hole - but I just couldn't do it.</p>

<p>When I put the battery in and it made proper contact inside the grip, the battery display cycled a couple of times as it does when you put a battery in and then just showed empty (I believe just one 'notch' on the meter and flashing). I had the camera power switch 'off' when I put the battery in. Nothing happened when I turned the camera on. In fact, I thought perhaps the battery was dead but after checking, it was not. Although Nikon did not change the position of the battery contacts, they did do something to insure you can only use the proper battery. </p>

<p>What is amazing is how well the D3 battery fits inside the grip, almost a perfect fit.</p>

<p>This was obviously not a good idea but I never thought the battery would work in any way. </p>