D80 image shadow shown greeny

brian_choong

<p>Yes, I am a D300 user, but this issue happen with my friend that shoot together with me during a photo session. He is using D80 + 18-135mm, shoot RAW.<br>

After the shooting, I found that his photo seem to be greeny at the shadow side. (I compare with my D300 result, mine one do not have any issue, I am using D300+17-55)<br>

After adjust the level and also curve (Nikon cature NX 1.3), the greeny even more obvious.<br>

Is it the behaviour of the D80 sensor or the glass?</p><div>00SUYB-110313884.thumb.jpg.ca00378204617cbbcf9b49eb73256bf9.jpg</div>

<p>At ISO 250 there shouldn't be that much visible noise in a properly exposed photo. But checking the EXIF data shows the exposure was 1/200th sec. @ f/7.1. My best guess is the photo was underexposed and boosting the shadows also boosted the noise. The lack of fine gradients in and apparent posterization in the highlight areas seems to confirm excessive post processing was necessary to salvage an underexposed photo.</p>

<p>Suggest that your friend try the same exposure settings - ISO, shutter speed, aperture - you used, assuming the same setting, model, lighting, etc. This scenario appeared to have fairly little light and I'm guessing his D80 photo was underexposed a full stop. I'd have expected to see in the EXIF data something like 1/30th-1/60th of a second at f/5.6-f/8 for this setup, tho' that's a guess without having used an incident meter to check the EV.</p>

<p>Use Noise Ninja, Noiseware or other noise reduction software to minimize the blotchy discolored chroma noise. This is essential for shadow areas in portraits to avoid the look of blemishes and unflattering unnatural discoloration. Use minimal luminance noise reduction in order to preserve fine detail in the eyes, eyelashes, hair, etc.</p>

<p>Usually when noise reduction is necessary to salvage a photo it should be the first step. Extensive prior editing, including to color and white balance, can make it difficult for noise reduction software to work as effectively and naturally, especially on portraits.</p>