D80 Battery Problem

evilsivan

My D80 is old (4 years) and has about 100k actuations. I have starting getting a battery error which according to internet

search was somewhat common. All of the threads on the issue are quite old and inconclusive. The problem is that the

camera will show a dead battery and not function even with a fully charged battery. I tried four separate fully charged

batteries and they all showed up as dead on the camera. UPDATE: Now the camera will work with just one of the

batteries for some reason. All of the threads on the topic suggest remounting the lens or perhaps using a lens without

VR (it seems like people were grasping for a theory). But that seems like a silly solution. I need a camera that I know

will turn on and work with all my lenses. Does anyone have any experience for this problem? Should I get new batteries

or buy a new (used D80) or is it time for a D7000 (yes!)?

<p>NiMH batteries will gradually lose their capacity to hold charge. If your EN-EL3e batteries are over 4 years old, that can be the problem. However, it seems unlikely that all 4 would go south at the same time. We have seen one similar case that turns out the charger is faulty: <a href="00UyDy">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UyDy</a><br>

Do you have access to another MH-18a charger to check that out?</p>

<p>For what it's worth, the VR 'theory' is not just grasping for a theory. VR requires power to operate, and hence has electrical linkage - maybe the VR unit on a lens is shortcutting and causing the battery to near immediately discharge. Yeah, it's not the most likely, but testing it will cost you nothing, yet give you valuable information. If you'd get a D7000 and the lens indeed causes the issue, your problem would not really be solved. So, not rule it out yet as a cause until you know.<br>

Sure, Shun's far more logical suggestion first, but if that's not it, I would indeed check with different lenses.</p>

Hi Shun

That is a good question. I will try to track down a

spare charger and will update when I have more

info. Couldn't you just write my wife a note saying I

need a D7000? ;) incidentally two of the batteries I

tried were from a random person's who claimed

they were charged that same morning and they

worked in his camera. At any rate I will try

different charger.

<p>I've had 2 batteries for my D200 die within a 2 day period. No idea what happened. I assumed it was the charger but my 3rd battery still charged fine. When I could get my hands on a 2nd charger I assumed that would solve the problem, but both batteries were indeed dead.</p>

Wouter, you are right that theory cannot be

discarded but I was seeing the problem with two

non vr lenses and I didn't try mounting my 70-200

vr1 lens yet. Peter's comment is interesting and I

will try to track down another charger and try it.

Batteries do fail after all.

<p>This would appear to be the firmware fix required..</p>

<p><a href="https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25869/~/d80-firmware-update-1.11---windows">https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25869/~/d80-firmware-update-1.11---windows</a></p>

<p>Obviously, if this<em><strong> is </strong></em>your current version of your firmware, it's something else......:-)</p>

Hi guys I have not tried the firmware update or a camera reset. Will try that next. Using my friend's D80, Charger and battery has yielded nothing conclusive. My batteries showed full charge in his charger and on his camera and his camera started fine with both my batteries and his. My camera worked fine with his battery but was showing errors with my batteries.

I will do the firmware update and camera reset now.

My totally disorganized and unscientific testing has yielded that the problem has seemed to have gone away.

I did a firmware update.

Didn't try camera reset yet.

For now all batteries seem to work in both cameras.

If I don't see any problems I'll probably end up buying my friend's D80 as a back up.

If I do see any problems I will update the thread in case a single other person on the internet is interested in what happens here :)

Thank you all for your inputs!