D7200?

johne37179

<p>One of the primary reasons for the price drop, in my opinion, is the weak yen vs dollar value at the moment. The yen has been dropping steadily over the past several months to a level not seen in a while. Of course December brings Christmas gift buying as well for some folks and that is another reason. Will there be a D7100 replacement soon? My guess would be yes since CES is the first week of January in Las Vegas and usually brings new product announcements.</p>

<blockquote>Can the D7200 be far off?</blockquote>

<p>Yes. But it might not be. What fun we'll all have over the holiday season trying to guess what Nikon will do next. Anyone betting on a DX version of the Df?<br />

<br />

I'm just hoping the D810 gets a little cheaper in the January sales. Though with the current state of my finances, it's not hugely relevant to me.</p>

<p>The D7100 is almost two years old, and those who want one most likely have one already. Therefore, in order for Nikon to move new ones, they pretty much have to lower the price. The D7100 is one of very few current Nikon DSLRs that still uses EXPEED 3. Both the D3300 and D5300 have been updated a while ago. So yes, you would imagine a new model is coming soon.</p>

<p>However, I think the D7100's successor will be the D6500. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Peter, I am talking, or writing, because I don't know. --Shun</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since Shun doesn't know, my guess is that the release of a D7100 successor is not likely to be imminent. If it were imminent, he would have received a body for advance testing, and not be writing at all about the subject.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since Shun doesn't know, my guess is that the release of a D7100 successor is not likely to be imminent. If it were imminent, he would have received a body for advance testing, and not be writing at all about the subject.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, but my connection with Nikon is not that strong. It has only been once that they sent me a DSLR that had not been announced to the public. That was a D3000 from 2009. It was supposed to arrive exactly one day ahead of the general announcement, but somehow FedEx had a delay and I received it the same day of the announcement.<br>

Typically, I get cameras for testing weeks after the announcement.<br /> <br />The next Consumer Electronic Show (CES) will be from January 6 to 9, in Las Vegas, almost exactly a month from now: http://www.cesweb.org/<br /> In the past few years, all major camera companies had new products to showcase at the CES. So we can expect the same in 2015. But that show is much broader than just the photo/camera industry.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ever heard of disinformation...:-)</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I've always suspected that Shun is a sinister master of disinformation, and distraction. "Look over there!" Meanwhile he's busily testing out the new D7200 behind our backs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. That's wrong. You don't get cute when you've signed an NDA. Not if you ever want to have access to confidential information again. Shun is too much of a pro for that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Andrew mentioned a DX version of the Df. Can not think of a good reason that Nikon would make that product. The Df is designed as an FX body in part so that old time shooters can use and enjoy their older AIs and AI glass. In going retro, I believe that they made the correct decision with FX. It looks to me like DX development seems to have been placed upon the back burner.</p>

<p>Yargh. I was joking. Badly. (Although I'll point out that Leica did the crop-sensor M8 before making the M9.)<br />

<br />

My impression is that Nikon will continue iterating DX cameras, because that's what they sell most of, and continue trying to push people to FX, because that's less hampered by the mirror box than DX (because the lenses are bigger for any field of view) and differentiates the cameras from the various mirrorless options that - because they should be cheaper to make than a DSLR - have a chance of eventually eating away the DX market. To the best of my (limited) knowledge DX is still the majority of Nikon's sales, so I'm assuming this is the long game - though it's certainly true that the enthusiast market (who buy the big lenses) are often willing (sometimes reluctantly) to go the full-frame route.<br />

<br />

Besides, it makes sense to me that the (relatively) pro D750, D810 and D4s should appear in advance of Photokina, and DX announcements might be more lined up with CES. Not that many pros are likely to swoon over the latest D3400 iteration. Canon launched the 7D2 at Photokina and the 1200D early last year. Fuji launched the X100T, Samsung launched the NX1, Pentax... well, okay, Pentax don't really do pro cameras except the 645Z (okay, that's harsh to the K-3). Photokina gets the fun toys. CES gets the department store specials, which I'm afraid includes the D7100. Besides, Nikon likely want to clear some of their ancient stock over Christmas before stuffing another SKU down the channel - it's almost hard to find a D3300 or D7100 in some stores near me, because their shelves are still full of D3200s and D7000s.</p>

<p>I am just wondering what the price will be. The D610 and the D600 are sold in very "attractive" prices currently and probably they will be "more attractive" in the days to come. Not to mention Ebay offers. Is there any room for a Nikon top-DX model? I am talking about money wise. <br /> Ι am a bit skeptic, someone mentioned the 7D II...is this camera selling well at this price? Of course if you have the 6D to consider with that primitive AF system then, who knows... But in the case of Nikon a camera at this price has very strong FX internal competition, not only D600 or D610 but even the new D750 if price is similar to 7D II. Just thinking out loud...</p>

<p>Andrew mentioned a DX version of the Df. Can not think of a good reason that Nikon would make that product. The Df is designed as an FX body in part so that old time shooters can use and enjoy their older AIs and AI glass. In going retro, I believe that they made the correct decision with FX. It looks to me like DX development seems to have been placed upon the back burner.<br>

Don't want to steal the thread but can't help myself. If they were to make a DX version of the Df it would look almost identical to the FM but yet functionally totally different with new lens, lens mount, it would be a mirrorless too. So if they were to make a DX Df it would only look retro. Oh yeah it would have an ED dial on at the right thumb too. </p>