D7200 or D7500?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by mark_stephan|2, Dec 12, 2017.

1. This demonstrates pretty much how I am holding the camera: Tips on Properly Holding a Camera

BTW, I've used the "McNally grip" a few times - one has to be a left-eye shooter to be able to do it; trying to get your right eye to the viewfinder seems nigh impossible.

2. Thanks, both. I'll try to explain what I'm wittering about with pictures, later.

3. Can anyone with a D7200 confirm that it's not possible to set the camera so that it displays ISO in the viewfinder rather than exposures remaining? I can do that on my D7000 and I think you can on the D7100 and D7500 but after looking at the downloaded D7200 manual I have it looks as if you can't.

I have my D7000 set so that the rear dial controls program shift in P mode, aperture in A mode and shutter speed in S and M modes. The front dial controls ISO in all modes except M. In the viewfinder I have shutter speed, aperture and ISO all in a line and in all modes except M I can choose whatever I like using both command dials, at eye level, with no button pressing. This is really only useful if I can see ISO in the viewfinder all the time.

The D7200 solves the painfully small buffer on the D7100 but with no ISO in the viewfinder I think I'll hang on to my D7000!

Now the D500 is out the D7XXX model has been cut back in features - only one SD card, no rear infra red receiver, no aperture teller for example.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. On the D7100 you get ISO in the viewfinder if you choose it in the display option, and also if you choose "easy ISO" there.

It appears that in the D7200 the option for just the display option is removed, but it will still show in the display when you choose "easy ISO."

On the D7100 at least, the default for "easy ISO" is rear wheel for A, front for S and P. I imagine that could be changed, but I find that quite OK, and that's how mine is set.

By the way, I use the rear infrared receiver rather often on the D7100, and I'm definitely disappointed that that has been removed in the D7500.

5. On the D7200, I can set ISO via the viewfinder.
    I have the record button reconfigured to be the ISO button. So I press the record (now ISO) button, and turn the rear wheel, and watch the ISO number in the viewfinder.
    The ISO number replaces the 'shots left' number when the record (now ISO) button is pressed.

6. Gary,

Thanks for that. Sure you see ISO in the viewfinder while the ISO button is pressed but I'd like to know if you can set the camera so that ISO is shown in the viewfinder when the meter is active and no buttons are pressed (including shutter release).

My guess is that on the D7200 the only option is for frames remaining, rather than ISO.

Another advantage I find is that the viewfinder displays the ISO chosen by auto-ISO (if it is enabled of course).

Mathew,
    Many thanks. It sounds that the D7100 behaves like my D7000. I have mine set like I do mainly because I came from a D40 which has no front dial. My D7000 now works rather like a D40 with the front dial ISO control thrown in as a bonus!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. The D7200 will show the machine's choice of auto ISO if "Easy ISO" is chosen. The only real difference is that there is no option for ISO display without Easy ISO enabled.

8. Mark,
    I have the D7200.
    The D7500 is attractive if only for swiveling LCD screen.
    I have been "belly on the floor" shooting low angle shots, because that is what I had to do to look through the viewfinder of the D7200, with the camera a couple inches off the floor.
    To me, the swiveling screen is like popping off the prim from the F2, so you can get the low or high angle shot, without shooting blind, like I have to do with the D7200.
    This opens up a world of shooting opportunities, especially the low angle shooting. I really do not like the idea of laying in mud, to get a low angle shot.

9. My D7200 shows the ISO in the viewfinder while it's being changed, regardless of what button is used.

Pushing the default 'ISO' button changes the shot counter to an ISO display. This shows the current ISO and any changes that are made using the command wheel.

The display goes back to showing shots/buffer remaining when the ISO button is released.

I don't see why the lack of a permanent viewfinder ISO display would be a deal-breaker. Surely it's easy enough to poke a button to reveal the ISO and remember it? And as Matthew says, setting 'Easy ISO' tracks what Auto ISO is doing.

"I have been "belly on the floor" shooting low angle shots, because that is what I had to do to look through the viewfinder of theD7200, with the camera a couple inches off the floor."

- Not quite as convenient as a tilting screen, but right-angle finders are cheaply available from internet sellers (at 1/7th the price that Nikon asks for a DR-6). Also useful for getting a few inches more height over the heads of a crowd.

10. RJ
    Are you talking about right angle "viewfinder" adapters or "LCD screen" adapters?
    I have to go look for right angle finders now. You got me curious.

11. RJ,
    I originally asked the question about ISO display because I do use easy ISO and the rotten Nikon handbook doesn't say that easy ISO changes the display in the viewfinder and the diagram in the front of the manual showing the display doesn't mention ISO either . I don't have a problem with it since I use easy ISO. I agree that if you are not using easy ISO then you can probably remember what you have ISO set to or indeed what the display on the top of the camera showed when you just looked at it.

Digging around on the Web I see the complaints mainly come from those not using easy ISO who do use auto ISO. These people complain that they can't tell at the time of shooting just what ISO the camera has chosen since all the viewfinder shows is a blinking "auto iso." They don't want to turn on easy ISO to get this info. since they find themselves changing ISO inadvertently, as would I if I hadn't changed the camera so that easy ISO is always on the front dial. It all depends on what you are used to I guess.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. Gary. I meant optical RA finders that screw or clip onto the eyepiece.

Richard. I'm still not seeing why anyone that's chosen to use Auto ISO should be concerned to constantly see which sensitivity the camera has chosen. Surely the range of ISO can be limited to the user's choice, as can the longest shutter speed allowed? Anything outside that range gets flagged by the camera. And anyway, what do you do about it if the camera chooses an ISO you don't fancy?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  13. RJ,
    I think the reason is related to why I've mainly given up on auto ISO anyway namely that the auto ISO system is rarely set exactly right in any particular situation:- "Oh shucks, the ISO has gone up a bit and the quality has gone down but I've just put on a VR lens and I don't actually need such a high shutter speed, I'd rather choose a lower ISO and lower speed." Because I found myself resetting it or turning it off I thought I might as well leave it off all the time and make the ISO easy to set.

I do have U1 set to P mode with auto ISO and the focus mode set to the auto thingy so that I can quickly grab one of those once-in-a-lifetime pictures very quickly but I'm still waiting for one to turn up .... ;-)

14. Not sure if I every tried "easy ISO" but my excursion into using "easy exposure compensation" (same deal, changing EV compensation with the dial that isn't used depending on whether one is in A or S mode) only led to confusion and a few exposure disasters. Turned the "easy" feature off never to visit them again.
    I came to exactly the opposite conclusion - which is why I now have AutoISO on all the time and only turn it off when I want to make sure I am shooting at a given set of exposure parameters of my and not the camera's choosing. To make sure I have full control in those cases, I gave up on A and S modes altogether (never used P anyway) and all my cameras are now always set to M mode with AutoISO set to on. I can select aperture and shutter speed at will depending on the situation, and AutoISO will pick whatever ISO is needed to get the correct exposure (which I influence, like I have always done, by dialing in exposure compensation). It was a rather long process of frustration with the shortcomings of the S and A modes on my Nikons that led me to my current modus operandi. Once I got used to having to make drastic changes to shutter speed and possibly aperture settings when moving from outdoors to indoors and vice versa, the number of way too dark and way too bright shots approached zero. IIRC, then only in the more recent cameras is there an option to turn AutoISO on or off without digging into the menu - something which kept me from using my current way of doing things on a D300, for example (and I believe a D700 as well).

15. I shoot like Dieter - manual with auto-ISO, and exposure compensation making adjustments.

What I'd like to do is shoot in aperture priority with auto-ISO, and have the rear dial adjust the acceptable minimum shutter speed shift relative to the zoom-dependent auto-aperture. In other words, get at the auto-ISO minimum shutter speed lens option and adjust according to auto-shutter-speed-selection fine-tuning. Last I looked there was no way to do this that didn't involve menu diving, though. If this worked, I wouldn't have to worry about a sudden change in lighting (say someone going into or out of shadow) pushing the ISO out of range, because the shutter speed adjustment would "save me". I'm fairly sure I suggested this to Nikon a long time ago.

I do turn auto-ISO off if I'm struggling for some reason, and I usually turn it off when shooting flash, partly because stories about how Nikon chooses auto-ISO under those circumstances scare me.

16. I tend to choose the shutter speed in auto ISO based on movement blur rather than focal length, so I don't have to think about the focal length and dive into the menu for that (at least not often). Both my regular zooms are equipped with VR so there is some forgivingness built in, regarding focal length. I use aperture priority with auto ISO when expecting dramatic lighting changes during an event. In the other extreme, when I shoot figure skating I typically use constant manual exposure settings (including ISO) across the whole event (at least while using the same lens). The bright ice doesn't lend itself well to the use of automatic exposure.

mike_halliwell likes this.
  17. It's interesting to see the different ways we have of getting to where we want to go. Before the D7100 I had a D3200 in which one must go to the menu to switch Auto ISO on and off, with no display of what Auto ISO has chosen, and in which an Auto ISO top limit could not be overridden without turning it off, so since the Fn button is well placed for manual ISO, I never used Auto. Now I'm used to that. I have the D7100 set to manual ISO most of the time, easy ISO, and usually aperture priority. Since I can see the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO in the viewfinder, it's easy to adjust. I'd rather adjust on the fly than use Auto ISO, in part because my usual use for M mode is specifically to set the equivalent of an incident light setting that disobeys the meter when subjects change, and Auto ISO defeats that.

I find the placement of the ISO button difficult because it's so close to the others and I tend accidentally to change the quality instead. Easy ISO makes it rather easy to change the ISO unwittingly but it's easy to put back since it shows in the viewfinder. One of the features I think the D3200 really got right was the placement of the Fn button. I'd readily exchange the bracketing button with an assignable Fn button on the D7100.

18. How I wish for the option to automatically turn off VR when the shutter speed is faster than 1/focal length (or any other option I might choose 1/2*focal length, or a fixed shutter speed).

Andrew Garrard likes this.
  19. Ilkka: That's really why I'd like a fast way to shift override - let the auto-speed auto-ISO handle my hand-shake (offset to allow for VR), but be able to spin up or down the shutter speed quickly if I want. That I can't do this is why I tend to stay in manual.

Matthew: I rely on the rec button remapped to ISO on my D810. The D850 swaps ISO and Mode, but I'll probably then assign Rec to Mode, unless I persuade myself of a better option. Over the holidays I'm planning to write up both a feature request list (if Nikon iterate their DSLR firmware) and some UI thoughts, and see if we can vote on it. I've been promising this since last year...

I'd buy being able to turn it off quickly, right-handed, as an alternative. Often even when I don't need VR for the image, I still want it for framing.

On a related note, I recently realised that I'd like a mode where a rapid camera movement translates to a faster shutter speed. I was slowly tracking some ducks and wanted the dynamic range from shooting slowly, then some birds swept in at high speed. Theoretically the camera should be able to tell that I suddenly swung it around, and there was a chance I'd be pointing at something moving quickly. This is much like my Yellowstone situation of shooting a Bald Eagle on a branch (in shade), then being at the wrong shutter speed to freeze it in flight.

Ah, if Nikon let me come and play for a couple of months, what interesting options I could provide!

20. Andrew, I would love to reprogram the Rec button on my D7100, since I almost never use it. Alas, it's not available. I'd happily also swap the bracketing button with another. When you're writing up your feature request, throw in more button reassignments please. I would not want to be without any bracketing at all, but that button is too well placed for other things, and I'd happily send the bracketing down to the basement.