D7100 flash in Aperture Priority (D7100 owners) ?

StanleyBeck

<p>With my D200, I could set my SB800 on the camera, set the mode to Aperture Priority, and it would give me a good exposure when doing a bounce off of the ceiling. It seems that with the D7100, I am consistently getting images about 1 stop under exposed, even when I set my SB800 up to as much as +3.<br /><br />The manual refers to flash settings as related to the built in flash. Am I missing something, or is this a departure from the way the D200 worked? (I have my min. shutter set for 1/60 sec, and sync speed at 1/250 sec.)</p>

<p>No, Elliot, I haven't. However, my SB800 is flashing, telling me that there isn't enough light. I've been thinking about this since yesterday, and maybe I'm just trying to get too much from the flash. I seldom do flash photography, and with the combination of a new camera and an old brain, it may well be operator error, somewhere.<br>

<br />I just wanted to know if any others with the camera tested it with bounce flash and Aperture Priority. I guess,in worst case, I could go back to manual, guide numbers and distance, etc.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Just a thought, but what are your ISO settings? The D200 might be boosting the ISO to get a correct exposure. Assuming you are using similar apertures, that's the only variable I can think of which would cause the flash to be struggling on one camera, but fine on the other.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. I solved the problem - operator error. I bumped up my ISO 1 stop, opened up my aperture one stop, and it worked fine, although my old eyeballs keep trying to lie to me. It's an old problem - blame the new stuff, an not the old stuff (me). I should know better by now.</p>