D7000 video uploading to You Tube

tim_eastman

<p>I have not used the video capability of my D7000 very much. What little I have done I have been impressed with. I would like to upload a 5 minute video to You Tube or Vimeo in order to share with some friends, but simply uploading seems prohibitively long. Information on ways to compress this file is lacking, so any tips on steps to facilitate uploading would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Have you run the file through whatever video editing software you are using and used its "web" or "youtube" settings to output the file? Files that get uploaded to YouTube are extremely compressed compared with what comes out of the camera. Personally, I think HD is overkill for YouTube -- while some people might occasionaly watch YouTube on a big screen TV, it is usually watched on a normal size computer screen or even a smartphone. And the compression throws away much of the video information anyhow.</p>

<p>Craig, I don't think submitting anything less than 720p is a good idea, if you have that resolution available. Most people I know go "full screen" with the videos sometimes, so it's nice to have that resolution available.</p>

<p>As for time, for a couple of minute clip, it usually takes me 20 minutes (h.264 .mov at 720p, not sure of the VBR settings off the top of my head). These are about 120MB files that I produce for work. I have uploaded a few minutes straight from camera, and that didn't take all that long. The biggest question though is your bandwidth. I have access to decently speedy networks, so it may take a bit less time for me than it does you.</p>