D7000 & Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM

pcg856

<p>Hi ,is anybody using this lens with a Nikon ,there is very little in the way of reviews on it.I have a D7000 and shoot eagles and other birds and looking to upgrade to the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM from my tamron 200-500.I am getting more in shooting wildlife and would love to have a Nikon 500 or 600mm but they are out of my budget range.Is this lens usable at f/4.5? Is the AF fast an silent ?Any information will help ,trying to find out if it worth the money.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>It is supposed to be very competitive with respect to image quality, but I have no idea about AF capability.</p>

<p>Are you thinking new or used? If new, then I'd be much more inclined to go with a used Nikon 500/4 or 600/4 for the same amount of money, or less! If you are thinking about a used Sigma then I doubt there are any other alternatives except maybe a used Nikon 300/2.8 with TC-20e.</p>

<p>I'm looking at a new lens ,I've seen a few Nikon 500 f/4 used but they are still about $2,000 more then sigma.I'm going to B & H Sunday just to see the lens and get a feel for it.I have time to look around it not like I need it tomorrow,but would like to upgrade from my Tamron before I go to Glacier NP in Sept.<br>

Bruce yes the Sigma is $4,999</p>

<p>Peter: Sometimes my friends like, or don't like, my WA suggestions. Since you are going in the STORE, also 'noodle about' with the Sigma 50-500, which like the Sigma 500 is a 'full frame' lens on your d7000. On both lenses you'd be shooting right up thru the center of the image circle ... good stuff. I'm assuming you have relatively easy access to the store ... you could use the 50-500 for a month or two, and trade upto the 500 if the 50-500 didn't work out. The 50-500 is about 1.5K, and the store would be most 'helpful' if you wanted to trade up. <br>

I have the 50-500 ... got asked to shoot a celeb golf thing, and used that as an excuse to buy it. I have since been into the marshes doing some wildlife ... I continue to be impressed...don't know how they do it for the $. </p>

<p>Peter, I have the 300 f/2.8 APO HSM lens and it's a fantastic lens even with tc's. As for the 500 I had a chance to use one briefly when I met a guy using one to photograph birds at a dam I like to go to. He was using it with a modified Sigma 1.4 tc which allowed autofocus and worked quite well on the bright sunny day that I used lens on. He used my gear and loved the 300 and I loved the 500 . I'd like to own the 500 f/4.5, when one comes along in LN- condtion for $2500 or less I'll buy it. Until then I'll continue to use my 300 f/2.8 plus tc's and 150-500 OS lens.</p>

<p>They have a used Nikon 300/2.8 AF-I as well. Slap a TC-20e on it and compare that to the Sigma. About half the price. If you are patient you can find a used Nikon 300/2.8 AF-S for a bit more. keh.com has two in the $3000 range.</p>

<p>I don't know how close Adorama is to B&H, but they have a used Sigma 500/4.5 non-EX (whatever that means) for under 2K, and a used Nikon 600/4 AF-S for about $5800 ( I have seen these and the 500/4 AF-S for under 5K).</p>