D7000 for video only

eric_m4

The curtains on my D7000 got crumpled up and its just to old and expensive to repair so I ripped out the curtains (I think they're curtains, slivers of black metal) thinking that I could use it for video only since it's useless for stills. Problem is "Live View" doesn't work and I just get the dreaded "Err" readout. The camera is pretty much a nice looking paper weight at this point but just wondering if anyone was able to overcome similar problem. Thanks.

I have handled D7000, seen incamera jpegs and converted it´s full hd video to 480P for older computers. My guess would be it makes sense to replace shutter in D7000 if Nikon service still has the parts and cost is not much higher than low shuttercount used D7000 at reputable dealer.

Then again if You happen to live with fleet of capable cameras, just place D7000 on shelf as fully served memory of history.

Sorry, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable was going to field this...

I would kind of expect there to be some kind of electronic monitoring system in the shutter mechanism, although I don't know anything specific about it. I'm completely unsurprised that the camera claims to be broken. If nothing else, it presumably doesn't know whether it's succeeded in getting the shutter out of the way to expose the sensor. Technically it could probably be worked around, but mostly be rewriting the BIOS in the camera, so I wouldn't start claiming it was cost- or effort-effective.

Sell it for parts and buy a compact that has decent video with the proceeds?

"Sell it for parts and buy a compact that has decent video with the proceeds?"

Yeah, Andrew, that's pretty much it. I just thought maybe there was an outside chance someone had gone through this with better results. Oh well... Thanks anyway guys.