d7000, camera settings for wildlife/macro when on walkabout

evannorth

<p>hi, could someone suggest some general settings for the d7000 when on walkabout, hand held. my fave subjects are wild birds, insects and other flora and fauna. i use the 70-300 ed, vr. tamron 90mm, plus 60mm micro nikkor. most of my results are quite pleasing,(to me at least). i would like some advice on camera settings only. not suggestions on extra kit. maybe using U1 for the zoom, and U2 for macro? 50% of my pics are taken in shady/low light situations. i also have the d90 as a backup body. thanks in advance, evan.</p>

<p>Use creative scene modes as apppropriate:<br>

Close Up - for insects, flora.<br>

Pet Portrait - for Fauna<br>

Sports - for wild birds,<br>

etc.<br>

once you got the results, study the EXIF data from good and bad pictures.<br>

then possibly try to use those good settings from EXIF, on manual, or A, S, modes.</p>

<p>I have a D7000 too. I am a big fan of using U1 and U2. I use one for action and one for landscapes. For example the actions settings I use are JPEG, continuos focus, I focus with the AE-L AF-L button on the back of the camera rather than the shutter button and I have the focus set to 21? focus points in the center. I find that works best for me following birds or soccer players. I suggest you start playing around with those settings learn how to easily change them back and fortha and find out what works best for you. It took me a couple months but once you get it dialed it it is very helpful</p>

<p>I find in dim light, I get many more sharp images using my D7000 set to Single-servo AF, (AF-S), with the default focus-priority engaged. Lock in the very center autofocus point with the AF-point lock lever. To shoot, center the AF point over your subject, press the shutter half way to lock-in focus, then recompose and fully depress the shutter.</p>

<p>If you have lots of light and/or very fast lenses, the fancy AF focusing modes the D7000 has to offer work okay and can be your best option if your subject is moving rapidly or erratically. However, whatever mode you choose, keep checking focus accuracy using the zoom-in "Quality" button in conjunction with the multi selector to navigate around the images you've recently shot. If you find your subject is often out of focus, try another AF mode option. The D7000 offers so many AF modes and options within the modes that choosing the right mod for a particular situation can be daunting. </p>

<p>My advice would be to practice using all these different AF modes and dynamic auto focus point options before you go on your walkabout to see what works best for your shooting style. The choices can be daunting so you don't want to be fumbling around out in the field and lose a photo opportunity.</p>

<p>It's hard to comment on other areas of technique I might recommend because I don't know how experienced you are and what settings you use now for the various types of photography you do. The Nikon D7000 is too sophisticated a camera to ask for basic advice on settings in this forum which is why Frank's advice may actually be right for you. I would recommend you read Thom Hogan's <a href="http://bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm">Complete guide to the Nikon D7000</a>. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>most of my results are quite pleasing,(to me at least)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You might want to just keep doing what you've been doing, then.</p>

<p>My advice would be to learn basic photography: focus (including the different methods of AF your camera can do, and why to use each method); exposure (including the different metering methods and the differences between them); aperture (and its effect on depth of field, not just exposure), shutter speed (to control blur); and ISO sensitivity and its effect on contrast, shutter speed, dynamic range, and digital noise. Once you understand those things, you can make user settings/banks that work for you, instead of using a canned formula or someone else's idea (which may or may not work well for you). In other words, to learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.</p>