D7000 - buy new or refurb?

jeff_becker

<p>Hey friends. My local camera store has some new Nikon D7000 body-only BNIB for $1200 + tax = $1284. <br>

Online, I can get a Nikon D7000 refurb with the standard Nikon refurb box and all accessories plus an SD card, and camera case for $1119 + $19 shipping = $1138. One year warranty through the camera store in NY. I live in Iowa.<br>

That's a price difference of about $150....and I plan to purchase the MBD-11 battery grip immediately which is about $220.<br>

I only use my camera on weekends - just a very involved hobbyist. I already own a D300 and D40 but I shoot mostly low-light concerts and want the D7000 instead of a D700.<br>

Should I buy the BNIB for $1284 or the refurb for $1138?? </p>

<p>As long as the Refurb is from a reputable dealer, I don't see a reason not to buy it instead of the NIB.</p>

<p>However, if you've spent a lot of time with someone in your local shop looking at and learning about the D7000, I'd hate not to keep your business, (and money), local.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>First of all, I don't want to turn this thread into another debate about paying sales tax on mail order. For those of us in the US, you should know what your state law specifies. If not, please check with your lawyer or accountant.</p>

<p>Having said that, the OP is comparing apples and oranges since sales tax is factored into only one side, thus providing a misleading price difference. A fairer comparison is to consider mail ordering new vs. mail ordering refurbished or factor in the sale tax you are supposed to pay for the mail order. Plenty of places will offer free shipping if you order a new D7000.</p>

<p>When they sell you a refurbished D7000 for $1119, that is only $80 off from a brand new $1200 (or $1199.95 or whatever) one; that is like 6-2/3% off. To me, that is a very bad deal for a refurbished camera. If you can get 20% or at least 15% off, I might consider refurb. Most likely the extra SD card they give you is a cheap one that worths next to nothing. For such a tiny price difference, I would buy new.</p>

<p>The online store is via ebay so I don't believe I would have to pay state sales tax, but regardless, I agree with Shun and that the best deal appears to be the BNIB option since the prices are so close, plus it allows me to support a local camera store. I've had success with refurbs but the price difference would need to be larger to consider.</p>

<p>+1 for Shun's comment ... new in this case is the way to go. But also +++++ for Richard's comment re the local shop. I have bought online, but the local shop ALWAYS gets first shot ... the only time they miss it is if they can't get the item, or are unable to come REASONABLY close on price (especially BIG prices). Most want to sell, and they will deal.</p>

<p>i don't buy every piece of camera gear locally, but i do make a point of spending a substantial share from the neighborhood guy. after all, he is a neighbor! unfortunately, the people who run the shop don't own the business, and in my case they have unreasonable pricing for some gear. especially when we're talking about the difference being primarily the sales tax, however, i generally support the locals -- which, in a roundabout way, includes me! besides, my local store in an authorized nikon dealer, and if i want a new model as soon as it's available, they can usually accommodate me. building relationships can be profitable, too.</p>

<p>BNIB is absolutely the best way to go with your local shop. The info alone both before and especially after the sale will easily be worth the $150. I only wish I had a local shop to go to. We have one camera dealer in a city close to me and I walked in one day looking for a filter and was greeted by the owner asking me why I had such a piece of junk for a camera. I had my Nikon D90 with me. Needless to say he didn't get my business and will never get it in the future for anything.<br>

All my business goes to either Adorama or B & H. Either one is trustworthy.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Local is a good way to buy, but ask the dealer to discount for the sales tax. They realize you can get it on the Internet without sales tax, and will give a discount to get your business, not too mention follow-on sales, accessories, good will, etc. For $1200 camera, sales tax is a huge factor.</p>

<p>With the catastrophe in Japan, supply of D7000 is limited. Many online stores are OUT for now. I just bought an "Open Box" D7k from Cruthfield for 1080. USD. iPanda exif data shows 272 total shutter releases. I am very happy with my decision to buy Slightly Used!</p>

<p>HTH</p>

<p>Earl<br>

Md. USA</p><div>00YzvW-376803584.jpg.df4945a32d5e1ed27c073a3f18e973fc.jpg</div>

<p>I shared your luck today. I found a LNIB D7000 with only 1350 shutter clicks for $1025 locally via C-list. That saves me about $250 from the BNIB price. I already have the battery grip (MB-D11) and RRS L-plate on order - which between the two cost about the price of a used D90 anymore!!</p>