D7000 AF-ON

jeff_becker

<p>I recently programmed my AE-L/AF-L button on my D7000 to perform the 'AF-ON' function, since I sorely miss that button after using my D300. <br>

Anyway, I have noticed that I can attain focus faster in my viewfinder (noted by the dot that appears to signal focus is attained) by using this ad hoc 'AF-ON' button, than I can if I simply press the shutter button down halfway. This both surprised me and alarmed me. I was shooting live music under very dark conditions, and this was my first time using the D7000 but I was curious if any other D7000 owners have experienced this, or could test it also.<br>

I love the quality of the D7000. I just am not sure why they chose to exclude the very helpful AF-ON button that was on the D300.</p>

<p>Nikon had to eliminate the dedicated AF-ON button because the D7000 is a smaller camera; there is just not enough space for both AF-L/AE-L button and AF-ON button. Otherwise, it would be very crowded and it is easy to press the wrong button.</p>

<p>If you must have AF-ON, you can always adjust your Custom Setting f5 and turn that AF-L/AE-L button into an AF-ON button. The main issue is that you cannot have it for both functions at the same time.</p><div>00Z4XA-381929584.jpg.115264cac400aea16ad32a1c46f0aaaf.jpg</div>

<p>Ergonomically, I like the D300 better than the D7000 by a long shot....but this is from a traditionalist - and I don't care for the video or Live View options of the new cameras...and I know that a lot of the real estate on the new camera bodies is eaten up by these new features. I did program my AE-L/AF-L button on my D7000 to work as 'AF-ON' but the button is a little too far to the left to be perfectly positioned for a thumb when holding the camera properly. Plus, it seems to work faster for AF than pushing the shutter button down halfway.<br>

I think the D300 is work of art, and with the battery grip it's an absolute steal of a deal right now on the used market. For someone who doesn't need FX or video, the D300 is a tremendous bargain currently. I'm keeping mine!! :)</p>

<p>Mike, it's only the original poster that said AF-ON works quicker. And there is no reason why that would be. I'm sure there is some other explanation.</p>

<p>However, am I delighted to learn I can restore my AF-ON button by function f5. Didn't know that I could do that as I am used to the dedicated AF button.</p>

<p>I will do some more testing this weekend with other lenses to see if I still notice a difference in speed to lock-on focus between the 'AF-ON' button vs the half-press of the shutter button - with my D7000. I agree there should be an explanation. I will report back.</p>