D700 with split image screen?

karl_keung

<p>Hi there,<br /><br />I regularly use an older Ai 1:1 macro lens + extension tubes and have no trouble focusing with my eyesight (20/20) through the D700 view finder. The focus confirmation indicator is pretty much non functioning at these magnifications. Focusing with just 1:1 macro is a cinch but I'm lucky to have good eyesight. The focus confirmation indicator is very reliable I find at 1:1 or lesser magnifications.<br>

I can't help you re: retro fitting a split focus screen ex F6 to D700.<br>

The image below is an uncropped beetle exposure using my MF Kiron at 1:1 + 16mm of tubes all manually focused through the D700 viewfinder.</p><div>00RxC8-102096084.jpg.f18c45d08dbaa6d1046bd4330dab6ba6.jpg</div>

<p>The "traditional" way to focus an SLR manually is using a ground glass screen, not a split-image finder. If you insist, however, look in <a href="http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/">http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/</a> for some suggestions.</p>

<p>I have no difficulty focusing with the OEM screen in my D2x, and I suspect the D700 screen is just as suitable. It's a matter of a method and practice.</p>

<p>Nothing ever looks sharp on a GG, so you try to find the point of best focus by turning the lens through that point, back again a little past the focus point, then back again to dead on. Make sure the eyepiece diopter adjustment is set so that you see the markings on the GG clearly. It's important to look at the GG surface, not through it.</p>

<p>Karl, the dimensions of the D700 screen and the F6 screen might be different. Your best bet is to remove the D700 screen and measure it. There are a number of screens that might fit, for instance from the FM/FM2/FM3 series.</p>

<p>You will not likely find a third party screen because they use regular film screens and cut them down in sizeto fit crop cameras and the D700 is a full frame camera.</p>

<p>I use three manual focus lenses with my D700. I don't get perfect focus every time when shooting fast with my 500mm f4 P and TC 1.4 wide open but I had the similar issues with the D200 and Katz eye screen. When I have more time and not so critical DoF it's a breeze. I plan to just use the D700 focus screen and learn to focus better.</p>

<p>The very best way to get pin point perfect focus is a clear screen+ cross hairs. All scientific work is done this way. Ground glass does not come close, but is way more practical. Dslr screens are optimised for AF lens and brightness, not manual focus. However if I set my focus marks to be sharp with the eyepiece diopter, I can reasonably focus with the furnished screen. There is no good way to perfectly focus a Dslr. We will see what technology brings. My guess is the problem is not even on the engineers radar yet.</p>

<p>Katz does not have a split image screen for the 700 as of two weeks ago. There is a problem in that the screen throws off the metering, but they are working on it. </p>

<p>The D700 doesn't lend itself to "traditional" manual focus, since the screen is designed for maximum brightness, and not accurate focus. The screen is too transparent to use for accurate focus by eye, or even to judge depth-of-field properly.<br>

This isn't an issue limited to the D700, because all SLR screens have been designed this way for some considerable time, and before digital in fact. Changing the screen would also upset the metering, which is flaky enough on the D700 as it is!<br>

"There is no good way to perfectly focus a Dslr."<br>

There's the small green focus confirmation display to the bottom-right of the D700 viewfinder, and I've found this to be far more accurate than trying to judge manual focus straight off the screen. And for the ultimate in critical focus, you can use LiveView in tripod mode; fully magnify the view and get pixel perfect manual focus at any point on the screen.</p>

<h4> </h4>

<blockquote>

<p>The very best way to get pin point perfect focus is a clear screen+ cross hairs. All scientific work is done this way.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I take it you haven't done any scientific work in a decade or so. These days, digital cameras are the staple of labwork, and you pretty much always focus them directly.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There is no good way to perfectly focus a Dslr.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've had pretty good luck with liveview on the D3. Works just like a lab camera when I use it for macros.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>thanks all for the contributions.</p>

<p>when i use lens at 1.4 or larger, i find the electronic rangefinder built in is a bit hit or miss, or put it another way, it has a wider tolerence than i like.</p>

<p>i think the F6 solution is the best, there you can get split image screen (nikon's optional screen) working together with electronic rangefinder.</p>

<p>i am really at a loss why nikon can get the meter to work in F6 with split image screen, whereas it refuses users the same options in their high/medium end of DSLR.</p>

<p>for now, i have to resort to bracket focus manually on D700 when using larger aperture, which makes me feel more like a machine gunner than sniper.</p>

<p>the conspiracy theory is that big companies like Nikon and Canon really don't like you using manual focus lens, and would do everything to urge you to upgrade to AF lens. they always design with their wallet in sight, and put user's need second.</p>