D700 wedding shooters

Dave Luttmann

<p>I do. I shoot with both a D700 and D300. Will most likely pick up a D7000 before the start of the wedding season. What do you want to know? I started shooting weddings in the pre-digital age and made the switch a long time ago. I went from a D70 to a D200, and now the D300 and D700.<br>

I like my cameras, they do a good job, but I also think I did a pretty good job shooting with lesser cameras years ago. I'm a 'cameras are tools' photographer, and I don't really worry too much about having the latest and best. Granted both the 300 and 700 are very capable cameras in the right hands, in an amateur's hands they can be just another camera.</p>

<p>You can't go wrong with the D700.<br>

Main advantages are: 1) full frame, 2) incredible ability to handle low-light situations, 3) price point well below "professional" cameras.<br>

Disadvantages: I honestly don't know any.<br>

So far it's the best camera I've ever owned for ease of use and image quality.<br>

I encourage you to switch to digital for a variety of reasons but first and foremost, you will be able to shoot in a much wider range of lighting situations and do so more easily (without sticks/tripod for instance).</p>

<p>I shoot a D300 which has been great but also disappointing because it is not full frame and because it just can't handle noise at higher ISO's . Therefore it is not fast enough in low light situations. So like you I am considering upgrading to the D700 because of the price and because it is supposed to be comparable to the D3 series as far as shooting in low light and because it is also full frame.</p>

<p>I have seen some test shoots from the D700 that still show quite a bit more noise than I have seen when I personally have shot the D3x (rented). So I am leaning more toward the D3 series because of that reason, but at the same time not quite ready to invest that much money. I will say the D700 does do a better job at handling noise than the D300 but it is still not even close to the D3x.</p>

<p>I'd be interested in hearing what your final decision is.</p>

<p>Hi Dave,<br>

D700 truly changed the way I shoot weddings and allowed me to take my work to the next level. I'd certainly recommend it for wedding work.<br>

Biggest pros (for me):<br>

- Full frame<br />- Extraordinary hi ISO performance<br>

Cons:<br>

-The rubber comes off of it left and right - very disappointing... considering the price I expected a better build from it.<br>

Cheers!<br />Marek </p>

<p>I use the D700 for low light, non flash imagery. Lovely files and the body is not the D3 size. The only down side is the lack of dual cards (imo). If the D800 has dual cards AND the performance of the D3s sensor, life for the wedding shooter using Nikon will have reached a new high.</p>

<p>I would recommend the D700 and suggest that as it ages and the intro of the D800 arrives, it will be a very cost effective digi body for many. </p>