D700 problem - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by paul hart, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Had my D700 for some months now so fairly well used to it. However, unless I'm missing something I think it has developed a problem.
    In aperture priority mode, the sub-command dial is intermittently refusing to alter the aperture. As I write, it has the new 50/1.4G fitted and it won't budge from f2.5; I turn it off, switch to my 35/2.0D and it sits at f32, refusing to move.
    I switched it to M mode, and the dial is still out on strike.
    Am I missing something somewhere, or is it a trip back to Nikon?
    Thanks.

2. I don't think you're missing anything. I think, unfortunately, it should be returned or serviced.

3. I've experienced a similar failure on a nikon and a contax. The rotary switch was not working properly and had to be replaced.

4. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Just in case: the command dials on the D700 can be locked, individually. Check the appropriate custom settings. I doubt that this is your problem, but you might as well double check.

5. Maybe there is one thing that you missed - I think that when you have reviewed a shot on the screen, then you have to activate the dials by half pressing shutter-release again.
    It's worth a try.
    David

6. Many thanks for these helpful answers. Looks as if it's going back. Now where's my Leica M3...

7. The main command dial controls the sutter speed as default, and the sub CD control the apperture. However, you can change the main/sub functions between the two. In this way it become clear that you have (or not) a mechanical malfunction of the subdial wheel .

8. I would first check what Paul B. suggests: main dial for speed, sub-dial for aperture. Reversed with CS f9, «Change main/sub». Worth trying.

9. Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that, and it made no difference.
    The odd thing is that if I leave the camera switched on, the fault seems to rectify itself after an indeterminate time and all works well.

10. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The connections/contacts inside the dial are probably loose. Sounds like it is time to send it back to Nikon for repair.

11. Maybe there is one thing that you missed - I think that when you have reviewed a shot on the screen, then you have to activate the dials by half pressing shutter-release again.
    It's worth a try.
    This may be the cause of fault Paul like David said.