D700 NEFs with Adobe Camera Raw update to v4.5

twmeyer

Tom wrote: "Adobe Camera Raw update to v4.5 converts D700 NEFs beautifully."

I find this hard to believe, but is it true??? Does Adobe Camera Raw FINALLY read more than the White Balance

setting in an NEF? All the older versions of ACR discarded all camera settings besides WB. Not exactly "converting

beautifully" if it stills ignores settings.

More time with a range of comparative conversions with both NX2 and the new ACR will be necessary to verify, but

I was pleasantly surprised at the color and tonal quality of the conversion, prior to any adjustments. I will

continue to use NX sharpening.

The Adobe update was also gratifying in that it didn't cost me more than a few

minutes. With this new capability in CS3, I am still debating the value of the $100+ upgrade to NX2. Perhaps they

will update NX v1.3.4 to D700 NEF capability. It was nice

to see NX2 now has "Protect Highlights", comparable to ACR's "Recovery" feature. <p>I asked Nikon this: <i>are

NX2 and Nikon View the only ways to convert D700 NEF files. Will there be an

update for NX v1.3.4 that can convert D700 NEF files? Please say yes.</i><p>And just received this this response

from Nikon:<p>"<i>At this time I do not know if NX will be updated for this purpose. We will not know until the

update is announced from Nikon Japan. For now the only programs capable of this are View NX and NX 2. Adobe will

also if not already likely release an updated NEF plugin for converting within there Photoshop software.<p>Once

an update is released we always post them at this link below, so its definitely a good idea to have this page

book marked.</i> <p>Answer Title: Current Versions of Nikon Software<p>

Answer Link:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=61&p_created=1029180813<p>(Grammar,

spelling and punctuation, verbatim)... t