D700: Multiple bracketed exposure in Ch mode

petter1

<p>

<p>Hi<br>

I've recently bought the D700 and I am amazed with all its features. It really is an amazing camera and I have a lot to learn, especially coming from a D50 and D40. It's a bit overwhelming, but nothing that a little time and patience won't solve. Anyway, it's all about ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Right? :)<br>

Apart from some of the menu options that I still quite don't get (yet), there is one that has been annoying me for the last days and I can't find anything online about it: I use Ch mode handheld to burst a number of bracketed frames, but if I enable the multiple exposure mode, it cancels the bracketing function.<br>

I know I can just manually bracket or combine the exposures later, but I would love to use Ch, bracketing and multiple exposure at the same time. This would make handheld in-camera HDR a breeze.<br>

Any opinions?<br>

Cheers,<br>

Pedro.</p>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This would make handheld in-camera HDR a breeze.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Disagree - unless you can keep your camera ABSOLUTELY steady. I have shot quite a few hand held HDR images - they always need aligning after the fact. In addition and more importantly, when you combine multiple exposures in camera - you don't get HDR, you get the sum of the exposures - slightly offset because of camera motion. HDR involves quite some calculation on the bracketed images to create the HDR image - so stop trying, it doesn't work and doesn't get you what you are after.</p>

<p>"multiple exposure" perhaps means to apply many exposures to the same picture frame on film, or in this DSLR case to the same picture file. </p>

<p>Each exposure amount of light is reduced appropriately, so the sum of lighting contributions from all of the pictures in the multiple exposure add-up to make perfectly expose single picture. You only make one picture even if exposed multiple times, therefore you cannot compare this to bracketing, where you make many pictures.</p>

<p>Bracketing involves at least one perfect amount of light picture, and perhaps one a bit less exposed, and possibly another a bit more exposed. You are making here 3 pictures, in 3 files, or more if you set it differently.</p>

<p>The solution is to Program a button to perform a braketing burst. Then, With the camera at S (not at Ch) push that button at the same time you take the photo and the braketing sequence that you dialed will happen. Surprise: It happens at 8fps without any grip.<br>

I use this to take HDR photos hand held, it works great.</p>