D700 locks up in commander flash mode

indraneel

<p>Hi All,<br>

I just got a new D700 and today was my first shoot. The D700 shutter release locked up several times randomly during the shoot and I'm unable to figure this out. Here are the details:</p>

<p>D700 with SB600 remote flash and manual focus 85mm/F2 or auto focus 35mm/F2.0D, manual metering/mode<br>

Flash power set to manual on both pop-up and sb600, shutter speed 1/250 or slower<br>

D700 autofocus release priority (only used AFS), group autofocus, or manual focus<br>

Focus tracking off, AF activation AF-ON only<br>

Flash sync speed 1/250FP, flash shutter speed (for P and A modes) 4", Rear curtain sync<br>

Flash commander mode manual (1/16 to 1/2) or --, remote flash at manual</p>

<p>(Near) Identical settings on my D200 gives no problems whatsoever. The D200 triggers irrespective of how the flash responds (pop-up and remote). Closing the pop-up on the D700 released the trigger lock immediately every time. What's going on here? Does the D700 lock up if the remote flash batteries are down or pop-up takes too long to charge or is there something else? Till my radio triggers come in the mail, the pop-up has to be used to trigger the remote flashes (I used only one today, same problem in either A or B channel).</p>

<p>Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Please ignore this question. After further testing, I believe this was what happened, from the D700 manual: "The shutter release may be briefly disabled to protect the flash after it has been used for several consecutive shots. the flash can be used again after a short pause."</p>