D700 lighting meter range question

michael_alger

<p>Hi all,<br>

Looking at the D700's high ISO range, I was wondering what I am missing here: I found the D700's specified meter range of 0 to 20 EV to be the same than other Nikons (D90, D60). Now I wonder why the D700, being able to take pictures basically in the dark, shouldn't be able to also meter in that same dark. Wouldn't EV -2 to 20 reflect the D700's capabilities better? Is that an issue in the field? (I don't have a D700, yet...)<br>

Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Metering range has nothing to do with low light performance, it just indicates the camera can meter the scene, not make a decent image of it, or the opposite. An EV of 0 , aperture set to f16 and iso 800 is going to need a number of seconds of exposure, not a good setting if you want low noise in an image. DSLR's don't have cooled image sensors which are required for low noise long exposures. </p>

<p>Besides if Nikon only specify a stated EV range for the metering, they don't have warranty repercussions if the metering is not accurate outside of that range.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob, I agree, kind of, that metering range has nothing to do with low light performance. However, a meter ranging to lower EV-values would come handy together with improved low light performance, right?<br>

<br /> EV 0 is 1s at f/1 at ISO 100. Let's assume a not sooo unrealistic and not so looong 1s at f/1.4 at ISO 200 which still is EV 0. That's what the D60 and the like claim to be able to measure. However, what light could I use with a D700 at, say, ISO 6400? With 1s at f/1.4 that is <strong>EV -5</strong> .Would the meter work in that darkness? Would anyone need it to work? That was my question. To be cooled or not to be cooled, doesn't quite matter.</p>

<p>I think what you say makes sense.<br />Anyway, an EV 0 metering is a very low value for any reflected mode meter... my Sekonic L608 goes down up to EV 3 in reflected mode but EV -2 in incident mode. It`s needed an accessory to meter as low as EV -2 on reflected mode. Usually incident modes are able to meter lower values of light; DSLRs measure reflected light, there must be a technical limitation to this issue, I suppose.</p>

<p>Yes, a low end to -2 or -3 EV would be nice, but as I said, then Nikon would have to design it to be accurate at those levels with any current lens. Odds are the can do it with some lenses, but don't want the warrantee liability when it won't work with a zoom with a max f5.6 aperture.</p>

<p> </p>