D700 flash synch problem

david-m

<p>I don't know if I am just being plain stupid here, but I have used my D700 for three months now (and very happy I am too) but today was the first time I used my Elinchrom flash units with it. At shutter speeds of 1/250th there is the 'tell-tale' dark band across the bottom edge that indicates to me that the shutter speed is too fast. At speeds of 1/200th and slower it is fine.<br>

I have set the camera to synch at 1/250th, so what is happening here?<br>

BTW I used a D2x for three years before the D700 with no such issues. Any clues or suggestions gratefully received.<br>

Thanks<br>

David </p>

<p>Thanks for these two impressively quick answers.<br>

So essentially I should not worry that a) I am being my usual stupid self, that b) the camera does not need to be repaired and c) I should just use 1/200 (which seems to be fine).<br>

BTW I first used the Skyports and then switched to a cable, but both gave the same results. <br>

Thanks again. <br>

David</p>

<p>Don`t remember what`s exactly the faster syncro speed of the D700 with my Elinchroms (DX heads), but I can tell you that they don`t work even at very slow speeds with some triggering devices.<br>

I like to use 1/125sec with cable and works fine. I don`t have my setup here, I could check it tomorrow if needed.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the replies. Sorry Ellis, but I am not with my camera right now, so don't know what flash mode I set it at, but I will check in the morning (that's UK morning!)<br>

Jose, my shots at 1/250 looked like your's at 1/320. Guess I will stay with 1/200 which worked fine.<br>

Thanks and regards<br>

David</p>

I too am puzzled by the workings of the flash synch on the D700. The flash control menu has one setting called "flash synch speed" which goes up to 1/320th sec (for FP enabled flash units), and another setting called "flash shutter speed", which only allows a maximum shutter speed of 1/60th sec.

Now the way I use the camera with studio flash is to set the built-in flash to manual at 1/128th power and use this to slave synch with the studio flash units. This works fine, but as soon as I flip the built-in flash up, the shutter speed is automatically set to 1/60th sec, and can't be changed to a higher speed.

So I don't think that you're doing anything wrong David. I think it's just Nikon's rubbish (i.e. non-existent) instructions for using the camera with proper studio flash, as opposed to the several pages of instructions devoted to using the camera with Nikon's underpowered and overpriced speedlights. Considering this is supposed to be a professional quality camera, and as such you would expect it to be used with 3rd party external flash units, this is an arrogant attitude for Nikon to take.

Incidentally, if you're wondering how to avoid the built in flash from producing unwanted catchlights - simple, I tape a bit of silver reflector material at 45 degrees in front of the camera's flash. This directs the flash upwards and blocks the flash from directly illuminating the subject, while still allowing it to trigger the main units.

<p>Wild guess: you're using a wireless triggering device which has a max sync speed lower than that of the D700. The Elinchrom does not allow faster than 1/160th. or 1/180th. Neither does the MycroSync. The Pocket Wizard Plus allows 1/250th. If you don't respect these max speeds, you will get the same dark band as when going faster than the camera max sync speed.</p>

<p>Worth checking.</p>

<p>David, even if you don`t see at a first glance the dark band when you`re working at a high sync speed, you could notice that later in the post-processing stage.<br />Check it by yourself: shoot at your desired sync speed to a flat clear surface and then apply some darkening to the image (e.g. via "levels" or increasing "contrast" in a PP application). If there is any subtle darkening you`ll notice that. If not, it`s OK.</p>

<p>OP here, and thanks for the replies.<br>

Just to mention that the flash settings on the D700 were for normal (not rear curtain or whatever) and that I first used the Skyport and then a cable direct from the flash head to the camera. Both methods produced the dark banding at 1/250th but there is nothing at 1/200th. I never had any issues with the D2x and the Elinchroms (which I have used happily for many years), but after reading all your comments I am sure the camera is fine (as in, 'does not need repairing').<br>

Thanks<br>

David</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I am having the same problem, but oddly enough it is not consistant. When I set my D700 on 1/250th of a second, ISO 200 with either the SB800 mounted or wireless, now and then I get the tell-tale speed line rising up from the bottom of the frame. It progresses as I increase the shutter speed as would be expected, but what is unexpected is that sometimes at 1/250th it does not show. The settings are all the same, never changed anything in my test. I just shot five photos and in three of them I had the black edge speed bar and in two the bar was not there. All shot on MANUAL f.8 at 1/250th of a second and yet, there is a variable in the number of times the black bar shows and when it doesn't. WEIRD!<br>

What is even stranger is that the black bar in several of the photos does not run the entire length of the bottom of the frame, it runs about half way and then stops and is clear again. That's a new one to me in over 30 years in the biz. Starting to think there is a curtain loose or something. Nope! Camera was bought new and babied, not a bump, grind, scratch, nor dew drop on it.<br>

The metering did go funky when I attached the MB-D10 bat grip, but that is for another time.</p>