d700 blinking err after one month

bill_rhodes

If you already went through the emergency drill (check if the aperture ring is set to the smallest one, replaced batteries and

did all the manual says in their troubleshooting section), yes, it's time to send the camera to NJ.

Let me knock on wood... And wish you good luck! The camera is still under warranty and if you have the receipt you

should be fine.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention I did all the emergency drill. Pushed every button two or three times, tried every lens, charged the battery, replaced the battery, bought a new CF card, used old CF cards

So I went out and bought a second d700 today. I have a trip next week.

Great timing.

Wow! Buying another one wouldn't have been my reaction.

In fact, I'm angry with Nikon USA repair. My 16-85VR has been at Nikon 5 weeks, waiting on repair parts. I called them today and

got the Party line about having to wait until the next batch of parts is manufactured and shipped to America. Could be a while, I

was told.

SCREW THAT!

I read them then riot act, and if I don't get a new lens this week, I will become Nikon USA's worst enemy on the Internet. Do these

clowns not realize that there is a recession, and it's going to become more and more difficult to sell stuff to us, and that customer

service is kind of important on expensive consumer electronic and optical products?

Understood, if you've got work to do, you have to have the tools to do it.

I have a family reunion next week (they are very infrequent) for the US Thanksgiving holiday, and I need my lens for that. Not getting

paid, but it's very important to me.

I'm really starting to wonder if these uber-tech cameras are worth the cost/headaches. I've never seen so many issues with Nikon

equipment in my 39 years of Nikon shooting. Is this better or worse?

Dan... "So I went out and bought a second d700 today"

Sorry, but when I read that I just couldn't hold it and started laughing in my office. That is what I call an easy solution! Why

bother with little inconveniences!

OK! you got your new camera so the next step would be to let Nikon take care of your camera! Sorry to hear that but it is

just a machine and they are not perfect! hopefully Nikon will take good care of you as they should! Good luck! Rene'

<I>I'm really starting to wonder if these uber-tech cameras are worth the cost/headaches. I've never seen so many issues with Nikon equipment in my 39 years of Nikon shooting. Is this better or worse?

</I>

<P>

I have had 5 Nikon DSLRs since 2002 and have used a few more samples from Nikon. So far none has had any problem whatsoever.

<P>

What are the "so many issues" you are referring to?

<P>

Of course some people have problems with their cameras, but some did during the film era too.

>>I'm really starting to wonder if these uber-tech cameras are worth the cost/headaches. I've never seen so many

issues with Nikon equipment in my 39 years of Nikon shooting. Is this better or worse?<<

I am not sure if statistically any better or worse in the 39 years. I know for a fact that there were a lot of Nikon SLRs out

there but there are a lot of Nikon DSLR out there also. Without the actual numbers I have no way of answering if that is

more headaches or less headaches. Then again I am sure for every head there are many more enjoyment or Nikon won't

be selling cameras.

Now as far as the next point I know for a fact that there was much less information available for each and every one of

us 39 years ago. Personal computers didn't get popular till the Apple 2e and that was in the early 80's. The IBM PC was

introduced in 1981. Internet was a form of informational exchange between institutions. Most of the information available

to photographers were clubs, and paper based periodicals.

So even if there were way more issues back in those days you would not have heard about them as readily as today.

"I read them then riot act, and if I don't get a new lens this week, I will become Nikon USA's worst enemy on the Internet. Do these clowns not realize that there is a recession, and it's going to become more and more difficult to sell stuff to us, and that customer service is kind of important on expensive consumer electronic and optical products?" How to win friends and influence people! Never a good idea to threaten a company with a good reputation in my opinion. Relax, use one of your others lenses and quit complaining. In the big scheme of things, not having a lens for a couple of months is no big deal. Not having enough to eat, getting sick, getting your house foreclosed on, having a friend or relative die, these are things to get upset about.

The "Err" error is a general, non descriptive problem. If it is not the CF pins and you have done the basic checks, it

could be some sorts of internal electronic issue. I'd say remove the battery, let it sit overnight. After that, switch the

camera on for several minutes without an EN-EL3e inside to darin any remaining charge. Siwtch it off and replace the

battery; see whether the problem goes away, but even it does, I am not sure that I would trust this camera if you

have an important shoot next week.

If the mirror doesn't flip up, you need to check no further and just send the D700 back to Nikon for warranty repair. Have you tried live view? That would require the mirror to flip also.

The D700 was announced on July 1 this year and Nikon started shipping it later that same month.

So they have been out for almost 4 months and if I remember correctly, this is the first thread about any real defects in any D700 samples.

How stupid of me to expect customer service from Nikon, a company that I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with.

I'll call them today, navigate my way through the abysmal telephone voice response system, wait on hold for awhile to be connected

to a "rep", then if I get someone who speaks english pretty well, I'll apologize, tell them to just keep the lens, and order another one

right away.

Bill, besides Nikon, there's the store. I don't know which one you purchased it from, but I was thinking about your case

later and it occurred to me that the first stop could be the store. If they're not willing to replace the camera, then send it to

Nikon.

Of course, you already have a replacement... Let's hope you didn't buy it from the same merchant.

In any event, good luck and keep us posted!

I had a D100 with a bad pixel. Took it back to the dealer on the 30th day and swapped it out.

I have had three bad F5 bodies.

One bad F4 which Nikon swapped out as soon as I told them I had a loaner from Canon.

I miss the days of my F2A which lasted for ever!

Dan, I see your point. There is not too much difference in performance of top equipment brands today and a good way to set yourself apart from the competition is stellar after sale service. You only really see how good a company is when something goes wrong. I hate gov't interference but I sometimes wish there were a consumer protection rule that if an item can't be serviced within a reasonable time, say 10 days from arrival at the service location, the company must replace with new or offer a refund. If Nikon or Canon or Olympus or Sony or Pentax have confidence in the quality of their equipment this requirement should not place a undue burden on them. In the absence of such laws the company that offers such service would place itself above others that do not.

As this price point, I can understand not swapping out. But with the consumer digitals, say anything less than $300. the companies should and likely many do just issue a new camera. The old one gets repaired/refurbished and sent along that pipeline. Olympus is selling refurbs directly and I think Kodak does on its web site,