D700 behaving strange with AF-S 24-120 f/4

raczoliver

<p>On my last trip I had an intermittent malfunction with my D700 and AF-S 24-120mm f/4G VR lens. After focusing, when I pressed the shutter release button, the aperture was stopped down to the selected value, but the shutter did not fire, and an "Err" error message appeared on the top LCD. After this, I could not release the shutter. The mirror was not raised either, I could see the dimmed image in the viewfinder, just like during DOF preview. After cycling the power off, then back on, the error message was still on, but I could now release the shutter, and then everything returned to normal. For around three more shots..., then the same thing happened again. Every time it happened, I could only release the shutter after cycling the power button. The other lens I had with me (AF-S 85mm f/1.8G) worked fine, the problem did not occur with that one. I tried a fresh battery, but same thing: the 85mm worked fine, the 24-120mm would act up. Every time the camera would work for 2-3 shots, then the shutter wouldn't release. I finally put the release mode selector to continuous high, and shot a burst of around 10 shots, all of which fired normally, and the problem just never reoccurred, and I have taken hundreds of shots with the camera-lens combo without an issue since then. Any idea what could have been causing this strange behaviour?</p>

Oliver, I was the victim of a similar issue with the same lens with d800. I followed the procedure as Shun adviced,cleaned the contacts

including the aperture clips which is placed on the side of the body mount and all get to normal. If it does not work, I would suggest you

to try the lens with another D700 to see whether the issue is with the lens or the body.

<p>Thanks. I did clean the contacts later that night (I was out hiking during the day and on the spot I couldn't do much with them), but the problem seemed to have fixed itself by then. Like I said, it never reoccurred afterwards, I was just wondering what could have caused it so I can avoid similar incidents in the future.</p>

<p>@ Ismail - "...including the aperture clips which is placed on the side of the body mount.." - Sorry Ismail, but what exactly are you describing there? I have a D800 and see no 'aperture clips' on it anywhere. Do you mean the minimum aperture lock on the lens? If so, the AF-S G lenses don't have one.</p>

<p>FWIW I have a Tokina 24-200 lens that occasionally gives errors. Things like reporting the wrong focal length or flashing 'ERR' on the camera LCD. Re-seating the lens almost always clears the error. I've cleaned the contacts multiple times, and I now suspect that there's an internal intermittent contact caused by movement of a ribbon connector or some such. I'm really not that bothered, because it's a cheap 'walk around' lens whose only good points are its focal length range and compactness. Its IQ is absolutely nothing to rave about.</p>