such get out, I�m just wondering if its worth getting the lens that

comes with it, I currently have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 , 28-80 F3.3-5.6 G

and a Nikkor 70-300 F4.5-5.6 G. I plan on ordering either a Sigma -

24-70mm 2.8 EX DF when I order the D70 to replace the 28-80 Nikkor,

Knowing this should I get the lens that comes with the D70? I don�t

need that extra wide end that much and the 36-105 equiv the sigma will

yield on the D70 will be fine, The price comes out to be about the

same for either lens combo, I�m just wondering if you think its worth

the extra $$ to get the included lens also?

Another question: I want to upgrade my N80 body to something more pro

like, I�m looking at either a used F90 or used F100's, seeing as a

used F100 costs 2x what I can get a used f90 for should I get it or

just bite the bullet and go with the F100 because its newer and will

be up to date for longer?

If you plan to get the Sigma, then, IMO, no need for the Nikon 18-70mm DX.

Should you get the 18-70mm DX INSTEAD of the Sigma?? Everyone will have his or her own opinion. For ME, I would (and did) order the Nikon 18-70mm DX instead of the Sigma.

Should you keep the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6G lens?? There are much better lenses out there in the same or similar focal lengths.

I'm in the same boat with the same decision difficulties. I'm about to pick up my D70 tomorrow and haven't decided on whether I should get the 18-70 DX that comes with the kit or get the 18-35 3.5-4.5 AF ED.

I'd already have a 24mm 2.8, 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 and 75-300mm 3.5-4.5.

Here's my thoughts. The 18-70 that comes with the kit is a good every day point and shoot lense, an all purpose in this class at a good price and quality to boot. But it can't be used with my N8008 film camera!! For my usage, work related, it's a good lense and a matter of convenience, I won't have to change lenses much.

But for other serious landscaping shots, you know the creative stuff, I guess I would prefer the 18-35 mm AF ED. I just hate to spend good money on a lense that can only be used with one camera.

If Nikon has a 17-70 AF lense and not DX, that can be used with a film camera as well, it would be great.

Oh, and the F90/F100 question... play with the D70 first; if you think you need to upgrade from the N80 to an F90 or F100 after some soak in time with the D70, then I'd say get the F100, especially since you have G lenses.

Dont worry about those G lenses factoring into the F90/F100 question i don�t plan on keeping for any longer then i have too, I already stated that im getting the sigma to replace one of them, and when and if i start needing the use of a longer zoom lens ill replace the 70-300, but for as seldom as i use it its fine, it came with the N80 and actually takes decent pics in good lighting, that aside more opinions are welcome,

as someone states the lens that comes with the D70 cant be used fully with a Film SLR and that bothers me a lil bit, which is why i considered just getting the sigma

We have discussed this topic before. It really varies from person to person. For quite a few friends of mine, once they started using digital, they stopped shooting film completely. You may or may not fall in that category. If I were you, I would get the D70 first, use it for a couple of weeks. If you still want to shoot film, then consider which body you want. In case you don't need to shoot film any more, there is one fewer thing to worry about.

Shun:

Thanks for teh advice but i dont think ill ever stop shoting film, for BB&W at least, i just love the dark room too much, ivebeen shooting non SLR digital for 2 years now and use film just as much, i am holding off on the film body i just wanted to get some opinions, hopefully ill be in art school next year for photo and ceramics, which is why i want to get a higher quality body

Let me deal with your final question, if I may. Between the N80, N90s, and F100, I would go with the F100, used. As a student, I think you'd be better served with the F100, which will probably be about mid-life, still near the top of the pro-SLR series, and compatible with much of the lens line when you get out into photography in a big way. But the price point of the N90 is a bit more reasonable. Do what is right by your sensibilities, desires, but most important, your wallet.

Rudy, what did you decide to do? I'm picking up my D70 today

and can't decide if I should take the 18-70 or get the 18-35

instead. I'm riding the fence -- I could go either way. I've been

told that the 18-70 is lighter and is just a "better" choice for this

digital camera -- but that could mean anything.

well i went ahead and just got both, ordered teh D70 kit shoudl be here in 10 Days, and i got the Sigma Lens from B&H Used in mint condition for 100$ less then new, so im happy, better to have teh lens now then want it later and have to pay more for it