D70 - how many pics ?

wrfuerst

Does anybody know for how many releases/pics the D70 shutter

is designed for ? Any reliable sources to quote ?

By now i have made app. 21.000 and it works like on the first

day, but just to be sure for another 50.000 ... :-)))

thx :-)))

thx Ivan and Edward :-)

altough i do veeery much like my D70, i'd be curious for the new D200 (?)

... and if it comes until X-Mas this year, i'll get along with the 50.000 (hopefully),

as i did my 20.000 in half a year since fall 2004 :-))

At dpreview there was once a discussion going on about one guy, who has taken 130000 exposures with his D70, when the shutter finally gave in (he was taking photos of his puppies [some kind of creepy little annoying active kind of dog]), asking whether this still was covered under guarantee since his camera was only 6 weeks (I think) old. Well, while for this guy I suppose a Videocam would have been a better investment, I think you can take something between 70 -100 thousand exposures before getting into trouble.

Actually, this is an interesting question, and I wonder if Nikon, Canon etc. have thought about it. While people with film SLRs had to worry about the cost of film, shooting 10,000+ pictures per year with an amateur DSLR seems to be more the rule than the exception.

In many European countries, there are now laws stating that a normal one year warranty is not enough for consumer products that one would asume to last. A mobile phone is in the borderlands of these laws, but a DSLR is clearly not. If many of them start to have shutter failures in 3-5 years time, this will be food for lots of consumer organisations and their likes.

>>In many European countries, there are now laws stating that a normal one year warranty is not enough for consumer products that

one would asume to last. <<

yup, here in austria its 2 years - which leads me towards 80.-100.000

shutter releases ...

Shooting digital and not being afraid of costs of film made me change my

approach to taking photographs. Now, i do every shot at least 2 or 3

times (if possible) to be sure to get the perfect picture and i do choose that one later on at the computer at full size display.

In some Scandinavian countries, I think it can be up to 5 years, at least for vital parts of washing machines and other household equipment. Since a DSLR costs at least as much as a washing machine or a TV, I wouldn't be surprised if they will be compared to those, also because SLRs traditionaly have been very long lasting. Maybe they should put warning labels on them: Take photos with great care. This device will detonate after 50,000 shutter cycles.

The one problem at the moment is that even cheap digital SLRs are expensive compared to film body of similar build quality and when they fail after 50,000 cycles people are disapointed and feel bad because the thing cost them a thousand bucks and only lasted just over a year but 50,000 cycles for an amature camera body is nothing new. Pro bodies are only rated to 150,000 but often go over 200,000. How many cycles would be enough. If a film user shot 10,000 frames a year thats around 280 rolls of 36exp film. That would cost around 2000 dollars assuming cheap film and cheap proccessing I don't know many amatures that really shoot that much film in a year but some must do and some must shoot more but they have to pay for it. Many have said when they went digital they were free of film costs so shot much more 20,000 - 30,000 or more a year but is it really fair to expect Nikon or Canon to fit pro shutters in these bodies or provide free replacements just because they are really being over used. Even that the cheaper DSLRs seem to cost almost as much as a pro film body they are not built to the same standards and simply won't last as long.

>>> Stuart MOxham wrote: <snip> ... 20,000 - 30,000 or more a year but is it really fair to expect Nikon or Canon to fit pro shutters in these bodies or provide free replacements just because they are really being over used ... <snip> <<<

fair or not, who cares, i just wanted to know .. :-))

but as the question has been aroused, lets think about it:

you are definitely right about the fact, that digital photography leads us towards another use of our cameras, as is: MORE pictures are taken than ever before.

And as everybody is aware of this fact, even nikon or canon could be, na ?

C'mon, 100 pics a day are not THAT much at all and therefore you will do more than a 100.000 pics in 3 years. Thats a minimum-lifetime i would assume for a DSLR before it will be outdated in terms of technical development and be replaced by someone like me, who needs a new toy from time to time to fool around with .. ;-)

Anyway, i dont blame nikon in any way by now - 'cos my D70 is working as well as ever before (now 22.000+). I do hope, that the above mentioned 50.000 is estmated on the *very* safe side of the street, just to be prepared. and of course i hope MY D70 will survive until the D200 (or whatever) will be issued :-))). Than it will be retired in full honors as a backup-camera :-))

have a nice day :-)))